- Title: Moscow designers turn models into sleepy commuters for metro catwalk
- Date: 23rd October 2019
- Summary: (SOUNDBITE) (Russian) FASHION SHOW VISITOR, SASHA ZHILENKO, SAYING: "I suppose we keep up with the times, and perhaps in some moments we outpace them and set trends." MODELS STANDING NEAR METRO CARRIAGE STYLIST DOING MAKE-UP ON MODEL MOSCOW METRO WORKER LOOKING AT PHONE VISITOR TAKING PHOTOS OF METRO CARRIAGE (SOUNDBITE) (Russian) FASHION SHOW VISITORS, ELENA IVANOVA AND ELENA PROKOFIEVA, SAYING: ELENA IVANOVA: "We didn't expect that we in the metro since we haven't been here in ten, 15 or 20 years. Let's not talk about age." ELENA PROKOFIEVA: "It is an incredibly interesting format. We liked that everything is modern and high-tech here." CARRIAGE WINDOW
- Embargoed: 6th November 2019 14:28
- Keywords: moscow fashion week opens catwalk in metro fashion show in subway
- Location: MOSCOW, RUSSIA
- City: MOSCOW, RUSSIA
- Country: Russia
- Topics: Arts / Culture / Entertainment,Fashion
- Reuters ID: LVA005B2BJ0HL
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Stressed life of city dwellers and office commutes took central stage in an opening show of Moscow Fashion Week on Tuesday (October 22).
Models strutted an improvised catwalk at a Moscow metro station called 'Delovoy Center' - Russian for 'Business centre' or 'City' - holding coffee cups and rode escalators with travel suitcases.
The station was closed for passengers, but the usual noise of moving carriages still accompanied elegant men and women as they demonstrated outfits designed for those living in a modern megapolis.
Some of the models representing sleep-deprived office workers had dark-circles painted under their eyes, others wore cosmetic eye-patches and had boxes with personal belongings and a table flower to carry - an iconic image for job dismissal.
The show reached its climax with a performance of electronic musician Andrey Lee - who was dressed as a firm director - and his new track titled 'I will sack you!'
Moscow metro - one of the oldest and busiest ones in Europe - is considered a tourist attraction and has long promoted itself as a cultural space hosting classical music concerts and modern performances.
Last week its other station hosted a fashion show as part of Mercedez-Benz Fashion Week Russia.
The metro has also said it was planning to cooperate with one of the top sports shoe brands to produce a limited collection of trainers in colours of metro lines scheme.
(Production: Lev Sergeev, Kateryna Malofieieva)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None