- Title: Uruguay's candidate Lacalle Pou rallies supporters ahead of vote
- Date: 23rd October 2019
- Summary: LACALLE ON STAGE AND PREPARING TO SPEAK GENERAL VIEW OF CROWD AT THE RALLY (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATE LUIS LACALLE POU SAYING: "We have to understand the popular message, the people decide that it is time to change and then they elect a politician in whom they invest their trust. It is not the politician who convinces the people to change. The general dissatisfaction, the urge to progress, the desire to change is what adds weight to a politician in order for him to change the lives of Uruguayans and that is the message that we will receive on October 27."
- Embargoed: 6th November 2019 13:48
- Keywords: Uruguay election campaign Luis Lacalle Pou
- Location: SAN JOSE, URUGUAY
- City: SAN JOSE, URUGUAY
- Country: Uruguay
- Topics: Government/Politics,Elections/Voting
- Reuters ID: LVA003B2BJZ9J
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Uruguayan Senator Luis Lacalle Pou closed out is campaign rally on Tuesday (October 22) in San Jose, some 70 kilometres away from the capital Montevideo.
"We have to understand the popular message, the people decide that it is time to change and then they elect a politician in whom they invest their trust," Lacalle Pou said during his closing rally.
He added: "It is not the politician who convinces the people to change."
Uruguayans will head to the polls on Sunday (October 27) to decide whether to extend the center-left Broad Front party's string of presidential administrations to a fourth term or to turn power over to the conservative opposition.
The presidential ballot will be a test for the Broad Front, led currently by TabarÃ© VÃ¡zquez, as the country grapples with sluggish economic growth.
The conservative opposition, the National Party, nominated Senator Luis Lacalle Pou as its presidential candidate, while the Broad Front's pick is former Montevideo mayor Daniel Martinez.
According to the Americas Society, recent polls indicate the most likely outcome will see Martinez come in first place, but with a runoff on November 24 against Lacalle Pou expected.
Uruguay's electoral system allows voters to select both a preferred presidential candidate for each of the three main parties and a preferred party. Sunday's turnout was around 40%.
(Production: Sebastian Rocandio, Guillermo Garcia)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None