- Title: Syrian border calm as ceasefire ends
- Date: 23rd October 2019
- Summary: RAS AL AIN, SYRIA (AS SEEN FROM CEYLANPINAR, TURKEY) (OCTOBER 23, 2019) (REUTERS) VIEW OF THE TOWN VARIOUS OF BUILDINGS MOSQUE MINARET, BUILDING CEYLANPINAR, TURKEY (OCTOBER 23, 2019) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF MILITARY CARS DRIVING ALONG THE BORDER TEL ABYAD, SYRIA (AS SEEN FROM AKCAKALE, TURKEY) (OCTOBER 23, 2019) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF TOWERS VARIOUS OF SYRIAN OPPOSITION FLAG ON MAST SCENIC VIEWS OF TOWN AKCAKALE, TURKEY (OCTOBER 23, 2019) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF MILITARY LOOKOUT POST AT THE TURKISH BORDER AID CARS AT AKCAKALE BORDER GATE TURKISH RED CRESCENT AND AID OFFICIALS EMBRACING VARIOUS OF AID CONVOY DRIVING INTO SYRIA
- Embargoed: 6th November 2019 08:11
- Keywords: Syria Turkey incursion ceasefire border
- Location: RAS AL AIN (AS SEEN FROM CEYLANPINAR, TURKEY) AND TEL ABYAD (AS SEEN FROM AKCAKALE, TURKEY), SYRIA / CEYLANPINAR AND AKCAKALE, TURKEY
- City: RAS AL AIN (AS SEEN FROM CEYLANPINAR, TURKEY) AND TEL ABYAD (AS SEEN FROM AKCAKALE, TURKEY), SYRIA / CEYLANPINAR AND AKCAKALE, TURKEY
- Country: Turkey
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Military Conflicts
- Reuters ID: LVA001B2BHTTZ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:The area surrounding the Syrian-Turkish border appeared calm on Wednesday (October 23) after a U.S.-brokered ceasefire expired for the Turkish offensive against U.S.-allied Kurdish-led fighters in northern Syria.
Turkey will re-evaluate its plan to establish 12 observation posts in northeastern Syria, Turkish security sources said on Wednesday after Ankara and Moscow struck a deal calling for a Kurdish militia to withdraw from the border area.
The sources said there was no need for a new military operation following the withdrawal of the YPG militia fighters from an area seized by Turkish-led forces in a cross-border offensive launched on Oct. 9.
A complete pullout of the YPG would mark a victory for Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan, who launched the offensive to drive the Kurdish militia from the border and create a "safe zone" for the return of Syrian refugees.
(Production: Dato Chkhikvishvilli, Bullent Usta, Yesim Dikmen, Bushra Shakhshir)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None