- Title: UK PM Johnson appalled after 39 bodies found in Essex container
- Date: 23rd October 2019
- Summary: GRAYS, ENGLAND, UK (OCTOBER 23, 2019) (REUTERS) POLICE OFFICERS STANDING OUTSIDE AREA OF INDUSTRIAL ESTATE INVESTIGATORS IN FORENSIC SUITS WALKING TO POLICE VAN POLICE OFFICERS STANDING OUTSIDE AREA OF INDUSTRIAL ESTATE, EMERGENCY VEHICLES PARKED OUTSIDE FENCE
- Embargoed: 6th November 2019 11:43
- Keywords: truck Essex lorry aerials grays bodies British Prime Minister Boris Johnson Waterglade Industrial Park container
- Location: GRAYS AND LONDON ENGLAND, UK
- City: GRAYS AND LONDON ENGLAND, UK
- Country: United Kingdom
- Topics: Crime/Law/Justice,Crime
- Reuters ID: LVA003B2BJRD3
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Britain's Prime Minister Boris Johnson described the discovery on Wednesday (October 23) of 39 bodies in a container east of London as an "unimaginable tragedy".
Johnson made the comments while addressing the House of Commons and said the Home Office will work closely with Essex police in their investigation.
British police said the driver of the truck, a 25-year-old man from Northern Ireland, was in custody.
The discovery was made in the early hours after emergency services were alerted to people in the truck container, on a gritty industrial site in Grays, about 20 miles (32 kilometres) from central London.
The truck was thought to have entered Britain at Holyhead, a North Wales port that is a major entry point for traffic from Ireland, on Saturday and to have originally started its journey in Bulgaria, police said.
(Production: Marissa Davison)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None