- Title: One wounded from car bomb in Syrian town of Qamishli
- Date: 23rd October 2019
- Summary: QAMISHLI, SYRIA (OCTOBER 23, 2019) (REUTERS) WRECKAGE OF CAR AS SYRIAN REGIME REPRESENTATIVES INSPECT SITE OF CAR BOMB VARIOUS OF DESTROYED VEHICLE VEHICLE DOOR LEANING AGAINST WALL ARMED SECURITY AT SCENE AMONG RESIDENTS PEOPLE LOOKING AT DESTROYED VEHICLE POLICE TOW TRUCK ARRIVING AT SCENE SECURITY AND RESIDENTS AT SCENE KURDISH RESIDENTS RALLYING AGAINST TURKISH OFFENSIVE WOMEN CHANTING PEOPLE MARCHING WITH FLAGS, BANNERS AND PICTURES OF FIGHTERS KILLED REAR VIEW OF WOMAN MAKING PEACE SIGN WOMEN MARCHING AND CLAPPING WOMAN WATCHING RALLY FROM BALCONY (SOUNDBITE)(Arabic) QAMISHLI RESIDENT, NORA HASSAN, SAYING: "The only solution for Syria, truly for the Syrian problem and for the Syrian state, for the Syrian borders and for the protection of Syria, is that everyone must recognise self-rule; and especially, along with self-rule, everyone must be entitled to their rights including language, local committees, municipalities, even pensions." SYRIAN DEMOCRATIC FORCES (SDF) FIGHTER WOMAN WATCHING SCENE CROWD MARCHING / SDF FIGHTER STANDING AS CROWD PASSES CROWD MARCHING / ARMED FIGHTER WALKING (SOUNDBITE)(Arabic) QAMISHLI RESIDENT, NORA HASSAN, SAYING: "I mean, people here used to take salaries from the self-ruled government. People used to govern their own affairs, including their own trade and their own construction projects, everything. I want to know, why do they have to come here and ruin the system we were operating under for the past eight years? Why do they want to come in and instill the pre-revolution system, which was all about oppression and the annihilation of an entire people? For us, for the Kurdish people, it was annihilation. There was no recognition of the Kurdish language, the people were poor, the standard of living was low. Even when it came to the stock market. When someone wanted to fix something at home, he or she couldn't fix it without permission from the municipality. And the municipality did not give permission." VARIOUS OF CROWD MARCHING WITH FLAGS (SOUNDBITE)(Arabic) QAMISHLI RESIDENT, ABDEL BAGHI MOUSSA, SAYING: "Things are good now, but there are increasing fears from the Turkish army. As the Kurdish people in Syria, and as Syria in general, we do not accept threats or Turkish intervention in Syria, in northern Syria, and in eastern Syria, in the nation of Syria in general."
- Embargoed: 6th November 2019 12:27
- Keywords: Qamishli car bomb Syria Turkish incursion Kurds northeast Syria rally Syrian Democratic Forces SDF
- Location: QAMISHLI, SYRIA
- City: QAMISHLI, SYRIA
- Country: Syria
- Topics: Bombing (non-military),Conflicts/War/Peace,Editors' Choice
- Reuters ID: LVA001B2BJW3R
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: One person was wounded after a car bomb exploded in the northeastern Syrian town of Qamishli on Wednesday (October 23).
The car was said to be empty when the explosion occurred at the Saba Bahrat square around noon, local time (0900 GMT).
Elsewhere in the city, residents and supporters of the Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) marched in the streets to protest the Turkish offensive on the country's northeastern front.
Demonstrators carried flags and banners bearing the photos of SDF fighters who were killed in the fighting.
The area surrounding the Syrian-Turkish border appeared calm on Wednesday after a U.S.-brokered ceasefire expired for the Turkish offensive against U.S.-allied Kurdish-led fighters in northern Syria.
(Production: Antony Paone, Seham, Eloraby, Nadeen Ebrahim)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None