- Title: Franco supporters protest outside Valley of the Fallen
- Date: 24th October 2019
- Summary: SAN LORENZO DE EL ESCORIAL, SPAIN (OCTOBER 24, 2019) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF FRANCO SUPPORTERS SHOUTING "VIVA FRANCO!" AS FAMILY MEMBERS LEAVE VALLEY OF THE FALLEN AFTER EXHUMATION VARIOUS OF FRANCO SUPPORTERS CARRYING SIGNS PROTESTERS HOLDING SIGN THAT READS: "FRANCO LIVES!" IN SPANISH PROTESTER HOLDING UP FRANCO-ERA FLAG PERSON TAKING PHOTO OF "FRANCO VIVE" ("FRANCO LIVES") SIGN SIGN READING: "FRANCO VIVE" ("FRANCO LIVES") PROTESTERS HOLDING UP SIGN READING: "DICTATORIAL STATE" (SOUNDBITE) (English) FRANCO SUPPORTER, PILAR GUTIERREZ, SAYING: "I'm feeling very sad for the Spanish people because I've already lived my life, but young people are going to have a terrible life because what we lived already in Spain in the times of the Republic with the Socialists in power is what they are saying they want to repeat." PROTESTER WEARING IN SPANISH FLAG GROUP OF YOUNG PEOPLE, ONE WITH THE SPANISH FLAG ON HIS PACK PACK (SOUNDBITE) (English) FRANCO SUPPORTER, PILAR GUTIERREZ, SAYING: "They (Republicans) destroyed the patrimony of the Spaniards, 20,000 temples and cathedrals and monasteries. They destroyed them, they burned them, and they destroyed all the artistic, cultural and historical treasures, very valuable treasures that were in those cathedrals, plus violent rape, plus tortures, plus genocide of all the Catholics. 80,000 Catholics were killed, just for being Catholics, I mean, this is what they want to bring back. This government, these are their ancestors." WOMAN WEARING FRANCO-ERA FLAG MAN WITH SPANISH FLAG IN HIS BACKPACK (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) FRANCO SUPPORTER, BLANCA FLORES, SAYING: "Franco for Spain is a person who pulled it out of misery that came from a war. That prevented another in Spain, that he didn't want to enter because he couldn't. The country could not enter. He is a person that talked about churches, social security, public schools, hospitals, the water that we drink now is thanks to his water reservoirs. Highways from the 1 to the 6. He must not have been so bad, such a dictator when he looked out for the people." FLORES HOLDING "FRANCO LIVES" SIGN
- Embargoed: 7th November 2019 13:40
- Keywords: Valley of the Fallen Franco exhumation Spain Francisco Franco Franco protest
- Location: SAN LORENZO DE EL ESCORIAL, SPAIN
- City: SAN LORENZO DE EL ESCORIAL, SPAIN
- Country: Spain
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA001B2GHUFB
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Franco supporters shouted "long live Franco!" as the family of Francisco Franco left the Valley of the Fallen after Spain removed the remains of its former dictator from the state mausoleum where he was buried in 1975.
His exhumation and reburial is the most significant move in years by Spanish authorities to lay to rest the ghost of the general whose legacy still divides the country he dominated for nearly four decades.
The ruling Socialist Party, which faces a national election next month, has long sought to move Franco's remains from the huge monument, built on his orders and containing the remains of combatants from both sides of the 1936-39 civil war.
Around 500,000 people were killed in the war between Franco's nationalist rebels, backed by Hitler and Mussolini, and left-wing Republicans. Franco then ruled Spain as an autocrat until his death.
Franco, who was a staunch opponent of socialism and communism, earned the support of people like Pilar Gutierrez, who believes the Socialists in power in Spain today are trying to destroy the country. Gutierrez pointed to a poster with references to what she said were past atrocities allegedly committed by other Socialists governments.
Another supporter said Franco was responsible for advances across the country, including in public health, education, security and infrastructure.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None