- Title: General Franco's remains arrive to be inhumed at Mongorrubio cemetery
- Date: 24th October 2019
- Summary: MADRID, SPAIN (OCTOBER 24, 2019) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF VAN CARRYING RELATIVES OF FRANCO ARRIVING AT MINGORRUBIO CEMETERY EXTERIOR OF CEMETERY AND POLICE STANDING BY GATES ANOTHER VAN CARRYING RELATIVES OF FRANCO ENTERING CEMETERY
- Embargoed: 7th November 2019 13:44
- Keywords: Spain Francisco Franco Francisco Franco exhumation helicopter Franco helicopter helicopter leaves with Franco remains Spanish politics
- Location: MADRID, SPAIN
- City: MADRID, SPAIN
- Country: Spain
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA002B2GHV7R
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: The remains of Francisco Franco arrived at Mingorrubio cemetery in Madrid on Thursday (October 24) to be reburied after being exhumed from the state mausoleum where the former dictator was laid to rest in 1975.
His exhumation and reburial is the most significant move in years by Spanish authorities to lay the ghost of the general whose legacy still divides the country he dominated for nearly four decades.
The ruling Socialist Party, which faces a national election next month, has long sought to move Franco's remains from the huge monument, built on his orders and containing the remains of combatants from both sides of the 1936-39 civil war.
The coffin carrying Franco's remains arrived by helicopter from the Valley of the Fallen to a helipad near the cemetery.
A funeral car then transferred the coffin to the cemetery where crowds of onlookers and media were gathered outside.
(Production: Marco Trujillo, Catherine Macdonald)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None