- Title: Lebanon's Aoun invites protesters to talk, hints at govvernment reshuffle
- Date: 24th October 2019
- Summary: BAABDA, LEBANON (OCTOBER 24, 2019) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF SUPPORTERS OF LEBANESE PRESIDENT MICHEL AOUN GATHERING NEAR THE PRESIDENTIAL PALACE IN BAABDA, AHEAD OF HIS SPEECH, WAVING LEBANESE FLAGS AND HOLDING PORTRAITS OF AOUN
- Embargoed: 7th November 2019 12:36
- Keywords: Lebanon protests President Michel Aoun Aoun president Lebanon protests
- Location: BAABDA, LEBANON
- City: BAABDA, LEBANON
- Country: Lebanon
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Civil Unrest
- Reuters ID: LVA001B2GHK5J
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Lebanese President Michel Aoun said on Thursday (October 24) that he was ready for dialogue with protesters to find the best solution for saving the country from financial collapse and suggested a government reshuffle was on the table.
Protests expressing outrage with a ruling elite they accuse of corruption and calling for the government's resignation have swept Lebanon since last week, paralysing the country despite announced reforms intended to pull it from crisis.
In a televised address to the nation, Aoun promised he would fight state corruption as demanded by hundreds of thousands of protesters and said there was a need to review the current government.
Prior to his address, Aoun's supporters gathered outside the presidential palace in Baabda, waving Lebanese flags and holding photographs of the president.
(Production: Imad Creidi, Mohamed Azakir, Yara Abi Nader, Louisa Naks)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Footage contains photographs or artwork. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing this clip.