- Title: Congressman Elijah Cummings lies in state in U.S. Capitol
- Date: 24th October 2019
- Summary: VARIOUS OF MAYA ROCKEYMOORE CUMMINGS WALKING TO CASKET VARIOUS OF CUMMINGS' MAYA ROCKEYMOORE CUMMINGS STANDING BY CASKET, RAISING HER ARMS
- Embargoed: 7th November 2019 16:59
- Keywords: Elijah Cummings Cummings Congress Capitol lies in state Pelosi
- Location: WASHINGTON, D.C., UNITED STATES
- City: WASHINGTON, D.C., UNITED STATES
- Country: USA
- Topics: Lawmaking,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA003B2GK3T3
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: The late Congressman Elijah Cummings' body lay in state in the U.S. Capitol on Thursday (October 24) as lawmakers, family and members of the public paid their respects.
Cummings, 68, a civil rights champion and 22-year veteran of the House of Representatives, died last Thursday of complications from longstanding health problems.
Service members carried his flag-draped coffin up the steps of the Capitol and into National Statuary Hall, an ornate room that holds statues contributed by the 50 U.S. states, where a memorial service was held in his honor.
"I have called him our North star, our guide to a better future for our children. Elijah has said that our children are our living messengers to a future we will never see for the children. He wanted a future worthy of their aspirations and true to the values of America. It was in defense of the children at the border that Elijah said we can do better," Pelosi said.
Cummings' friendship spanned both sides of the aisle, Mark Meadows, a Republican from North Carolina, said.
"He is defined by the character of his heart, the honesty of his dialogue, and the man that...the man that we will miss," he said.
Cummings, an African-American, was one of a handful of Democrats leading an impeachment investigation into President Donald Trump.
At the time of his death, Cummings, who represented the city of Baltimore and surrounding areas of Maryland, chaired the powerful House Oversight and Government Reform Committee.
He became chairman in January when he and his fellow Democrats took majority control of the House.
In late September, Speaker Pelosi launched a formal impeachment investigation into Trump's dealings with Ukraine and designated the House's intelligence, foreign affairs and oversight committees to lead the probe.
Former U.S. presidents Barack Obama and Bill Clinton, along with former presidential candidate and Senator Hillary Clinton, are among a who's-who list of the Democratic Party slated to speak on Friday at Cummings' funeral.
(Production: Katharine Jackson)
- Copyright Holder: POOL (CAN SELL)
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None