- Title: One week in, protesters in Lebanon say they will stay on the streets
- Date: 24th October 2019
- Summary: PROTESTERS WAVING LEBANESE FLAGS
- Embargoed: 7th November 2019 19:53
- Keywords: Lebanon protests anti-government night Beirut Sidon South Lebanon
- Location: BEIRUT, SIDON AND HASBAYA, LEBANON
- City: BEIRUT, SIDON AND HASBAYA, LEBANON
- Country: Lebanon
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Civil Unrest
- Reuters ID: LVA008B2GKPXJ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Lebanese protesters took to the streets again on Thursday (October 24), after a week of protests, and say they are not planning to leave until their demands are met.
The protests, expressing outrage with an establishment seen as corrupt, have buffeted Lebanon since last week despite reforms meant to appease discontent and reassure Western donors that have pledged badly needed aid but not yet disbursed it.
The protests have been overwhelmingly peaceful and the army has struggled to prevent persistent demonstrators from blocking roadways.
The country's banking association said banks would remain closed Friday (October 25) due to safety concerns, and would open as soon as the situation stabilises, with operations limited to paying out customer and employee salaries via ATMs.
(Production: Alaa Kanaan, Issam Abdallah, Ahmad El Kerdi, Hassan Hankir, Karamallah Daher, Yara Abi Nader)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.