- Title: Book of condolence signed for Chinese victims found dead in truck near London
- Date: 24th October 2019
- Summary: FUZHOU, FUJIAN PROVINCE, CHINA (FILE - JANUARY 19, 2001) (ORIGINALLY 4:3) (REUTERS) (NIGHT SHOTS) COFFINS OF CHINESE MIGRANTS WHO SUFFOCATED IN BRITISH TOMATO TRUCK ON GROUND VICE-MAJOR OF FUZHOU, YANG AIJIN TALKING TO OFFICIALS COFFINS ON GROUND NAME OF PERSON IN CHINESE CHARACTERS ON COFFIN COFFIN WORKERS CARRYING AWAY COFFIN
- Embargoed: 7th November 2019 13:39
- Keywords: Chinese victims refrigerated truck 39 people book of condolence Chinese lorry victims
- Location: GRAYS AND LONDON, ENGLAND, UK / FUZHOU, FUJIAN PROVINCE, CHINA
- City: GRAYS AND LONDON, ENGLAND, UK / FUZHOU, FUJIAN PROVINCE, CHINA
- Country: United Kingdom
- Topics: Crime/Law/Justice
- Reuters ID: LVA003B2GJOSN
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Police officers signed on Thursday (October 24) a book of condolences for Chinese victims found dead in the back of a truck near London.
Paramedics and police found the 31 men and eight women's bodies on Wednesday (October 24) in a truck container on an industrial estate at Grays, about 20 miles (32 km) east of the British capital.
For years, illegal immigrants have attempted to reach Britain stowed away in trucks, often from the European mainland. In the biggest tragedy, 58 Chinese were found dead in a tomato truck in 2000 at the port of Dover.
"We read with heavy heart the reports about the death of 39 people in Essex, England," the Chinese embassy said in a statement, adding further clarification was being sought with police.
Police have identified the truck driver as a 25-year-old man from Northern Ireland and have searched three properties there as part of the investigation.
(Production: Hannah MacKay, Helena Williams, Iona Serrapica)
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None