- Title: Ruling party candidate in Uruguay closes out campaign rally
- Date: 24th October 2019
- Summary: SUPPORTER CLAPPING, SITTING ON TREE BRANCH
- Embargoed: 7th November 2019 12:16
- Keywords: Uruguay election. voting Daniel Martinez rally
- Location: MONTEVIDEO, URUGUAY
- City: MONTEVIDEO, URUGUAY
- Country: Uruguay
- Topics: Government/Politics,Elections/Voting
- Reuters ID: LVA002B2GJKUF
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Uruguay's ruling party candidate Daniel Martinez closed out on Wednesday (October 23) his campaign rally ahead of Sunday's vote.
A former mayor of Montevideo, Martinez urged the crowd to look at current events taking in place in various parts of Latin America as they looked to the election.
"You have to have the ability to find your north in order to generate wealth but also distribute it, equally, unlike what used to happen (with) models of government that failed and left Uruguay in crisis and that today is being repeated in places like Argentina, Ecuador and (look) how Chile is now suffering," Martinez said.
Uruguayans head to the polls on Sunday (October 27) to decide whether to extend the center-left Broad Front party's string of presidential administrations to a fourth term or to turn power over to the conservative opposition.
The presidential ballot will be a test for the Broad Front, led currently by TabarÃ© VÃ¡zquez, as the country grapples with sluggish economic growth.
The conservative opposition, the National Party, nominated Senator Luis Lacalle Pou as its presidential candidate.
According to the Americas Society, recent polls indicate the most likely outcome will see Martinez come in first place, but with a runoff on November 24 against Lacalle Pou expected.
(Production: Sebastian Rocandio)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None