- Title: Spirit of Lebanese protesters undampened by rain
- Date: 24th October 2019
- Summary: PROTESTER SHOUTING ALONG WITH SONG (Arabic): "REVOLUTION" JAL EL DIB, LEBANON (OCTOBER 24, 2019) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS GATHERED IN THE MIDDLE OF THE MAIN HIGHWAY LINKING NORTH LEBANON TO BEIRUT PROTESTERS LOOKING OVER CROWD GATHERED IN THE MIDDLE OF THE HIGHWAY
- Embargoed: 7th November 2019 18:00
- Keywords: Lebanon protests rain weather anti-government Lebanon protests
- Location: BEIRUT, JAL EL DIB AND TRIPOLI, LEBANON
- City: BEIRUT, JAL EL DIB AND TRIPOLI, LEBANON
- Country: Lebanon
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Civil Unrest
- Reuters ID: LVA003B2GKA4N
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Poor weather did not dampen the spirits of Lebanese protesters who took to the streets for an eighth consecutive day on Thursday (October 24).
In the town of Jal el Dib, protesters waving Lebanese flags brought out umbrellas and raincoats to keep protesting despite rain. Some erected makeshift barricades to block a main roadway.
Protests expressing outrage with an establishment seen as corrupt have swept Lebanon since last week, paralysing the country despite reforms intended to appease discontent and win over Western donors that have pledged badly needed aid. The protests have been overwhelmingly peaceful and the army has struggled to prevent persistent demonstrators from blocking roadways.
The country's banking association said banks would remain closed Friday (October 25) due to safety concerns, and would open as soon as the situation stabilises, with operations limited to paying out customer and employee salaries via ATMs.
(Production: Alaa Kanaan, Issam Abdallah, Alkis Konstantin, Yara Abi Nader, Imad Creidi, Ahmad El Kerdi, Louisa Naks)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None