- Title: Hezbollah supporters scuffle with police, protesters at Beirut rally
- Date: 25th October 2019
- Summary: PEOPLE HELPING INJURED MAN ON THE GROUND
- Embargoed: 8th November 2019 16:17
- Keywords: Nasrallah rally Hezbollah protesters Beirut supporters protest fight scuffle
- Location: BEIRUT, LEBANON
- City: BEIRUT, LEBANON
- Country: Lebanon
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Civil Unrest
- Reuters ID: LVA004B2LJPDZ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Protests that have paralysed Lebanon for more than a week took a more violent turn on Friday (October 25) when groups supporting Hezbollah pushed into a peaceful demonstration in Beirut, scuffling with protesters and forcing riot police to intervene.
Dressed in plain black t-shirts, common to Hezbollah supporters, the men shouted in support of Hezbollah leader Sayyed Hassan Nasrallah.
At least two protesters were wounded in the scuffles. Riot police with masks and batons were dispatched to the square to defuse the situation as people began hurling stones and sticks.
The scuffles came just before Nasrallah spoke in a television broadcast where he urged his group's supporters to stay away from the protests.
In the televised speech, Nasrallah said Lebanon was being "targeted" internationally and regionally, and he expressed fear that someone was looking to plunge the country into civil war.
(Production: Alaa Kanaan, Issam Abdallah, Imad Creidi, Ahmad El Kerdi, Yara Abi Nader, Lucy Marks)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: WARNING: Editors please note, this clip contains graphic material