- Title: Two dead, 350 wounded in Baghdad's protests
- Date: 25th October 2019
- Summary: INJURED PROTESTERS BEING PLACED INTO AMBULANCE
- Embargoed: 8th November 2019 14:35
- Keywords: Protests Iraq Baghdad injured protesters hospital ambulances gunfire
- Location: BAGHDAD , IRAQ
- City: BAGHDAD , IRAQ
- Country: Iraq
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Civil Unrest,Editors' Choice
- Reuters ID: LVA002B2LJKNB
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:A second protester died in Baghdad on Friday (October 25) after being struck by a tear gas canister, police and medical sources said.
More than 350 people were wounded as Iraqi security forces used tear gas and stun grenades to repel crowds marching towards the capital's heavily fortified Green Zone, protesting corruption and economic hardship.
On the same day, in the southern city of Nasiriya, at least three people died when an Iraqi Shi'ite militia group opened fire on a group of protesters attempting to break into the group's local offices, police and hospital sources said.
The authorities have struggled to address protesters' grievances since sometimes violent unrest erupted in Baghdad on October 1, spreading to southern cities. Demonstrators blame corrupt officials and political elites for failing to improve their lives.
The unrest has posed the biggest challenge to Prime Minister Adel Abdul Mahdi since he took office just one year ago. Despite promising reforms and a broad cabinet reshuffle, the premier has so far struggled to address protesters' roiling discontent.
(Production: Mohammed Katfan, Chiara Rodriquez)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: WARNING: Editors please note, this clip contains graphic material