- Title: U.N. urges security forces to show restraint as Iraqis demonstrate
- Date: 25th October 2019
- Summary: PROTESTERS CARRYING INJURED PROTESTER
- Embargoed: 8th November 2019 12:01
- Keywords: Iraq protests U.N. reaction protests in Baghdad
- Location: BAGHDAD, IRAQ / GENEVA, SWITZERLAND
- City: BAGHDAD, IRAQ / GENEVA, SWITZERLAND
- Country: Switzerland
- Topics: Government/Politics,United Nations
- Reuters ID: LVA002B2LIH53
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: PLEASE NOTE: EDIT CONTAINS GRAPHIC IMAGES
The United Nations on Friday (October 25) urged Iraqi security forces to show restraint and provide a proportionate and calibrated response to protests planned throughout the country, voicing concern after a previous wave of unrest turned into a violent confrontation.
Sometimes violent unrest erupted in Baghdad on October 1, then spreading to southern cities, and lasting for several days in a row just two weeks ago.
A report released this week by a government committee set up by Prime Minister Abdul Mahdi concluded that 149 protesters had been killed during the unrest because security forces used excessive force and live fire to quell the protests, while a U.N. report released this week said 157 people were killed, and nearly 6,000 injured.
Despite the OPED member country's vast oil wealth, many Iraqis live in poverty, have limited access to clean water, electricity, basic healthcare or decent education as the country tries to recover from years of conflict and economic hardship.
(Production: Marina Depetris)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: WARNING: Editors please note, this clip contains graphic material