- Title: CEO Zuckerberg says new Facebook's news tab will include a 'breadth of content'
- Date: 25th October 2019
- Summary: NEW YORK, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES (FILE) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF FACEBOOK WEBSITE ON LAPTOP
- Embargoed: 8th November 2019 20:03
- Keywords: Mark Zuckerberg Facebook NewsCorp Robert Johnson Ken Doctor Newsonomics
- Location: NEW YORK, NEW YORK, + SAN FRANCISCO, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES
- City: NEW YORK, NEW YORK, + SAN FRANCISCO, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES
- Country: USA
- Topics: Company News Markets,Economic Events
- Reuters ID: LVA003B2LJI9Z
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Facebook CEO, Mark Zuckerberg promised a "breadth of content" on its new "News Tab" on Friday (October 25), a feature the social media company is testing with 200,000 users in the United States that shows a curated feed of news stories from outlets across the country.
Zuckerberg made the announcement at an event in New York.
"This is going to be the first time ever that there is a dedicated space in the app that's focused on high-quality journalism," Zuckerberg said.
"We also announced a $300 million dollar commitment to journalism and helping a number of publishers, but a special focus on local news to grow their subscription business model, especially, and to do work on that."
The tab will feature access to content from about 200 news publishers, such as Wall Street Journal, Fox News, and NPR.
"We're not only doing it algorithmically," Zuckerberg said. "We've put together a team of folks, who have experience in journalism and a background in this."
But Ken Doctor, a media analyst and president of Newsonomics, told Reuters news selection could prove to be a challenge.
"Who fits, who is a legitimate news organization?" Doctor said. "Well, that question, which is the same question faced by Google and Apple, is one that's gotten Facebook in the crosshairs of Congress before."
Zuckerberg said he hoped the model would be able to be replicated internationally as well.
(Production: Aleksandra Michalska)
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Footage contains computer game or software screenshots. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing this clip.