- Title: Protesters set fire to provincial government building in southern Iraq
- Date: 25th October 2019
- Summary: NASIRIYA, IRAQ (OCTOBER 25, 2019) (REUTERS) PROTESTERS PUSHING PAST POLICE OFFICERS/ PROTESTERS MARCHING TOWARD NASIRIYA PROVINCIAL GOVERNMENT BUILDING PROTESTERS GATHERING OUTSIDE PROVINCIAL GOVERNMENT BUILDING THICK BLACK SMOKE BILLOWING INTO THE SKY/ PROTESTERS CHANTING AND DANCING
- Embargoed: 8th November 2019 13:43
- Keywords: Iraq protests Nasiriya provincial building fire southern Iraq
- Location: NASIRIYA, IRAQ
- City: NASIRIYA, IRAQ
- Country: Iraq
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Civil Unrest
- Reuters ID: LVA001B2LIP1J
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:At least 3,000 protesters in the southern Iraqi city of Nasiriya broke into the provincial government building and set it on fire on Friday (October 25), police sources said.
Meanwhile, six protesters were wounded in the southern city of Amara in Maysan province, when guards protecting the local office of Shi'ite militia group Asaib Ahl al-Haq opened fired, two security sources said.
The protesters had been trying to set the office on fire, the sources said.
Anti-government demonstrations are taking place nationwide on Friday, with protesters calling for the resignation of the government and an end to corruption.
(Production: Mohammed Al-Ramahi)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None