- Title: EU ambassadors to discuss Britain's request for Brexit delay
- Date: 25th October 2019
- Summary: BRUSSELS, BELGIUM (OCTOBER 25, 2019) (REUTERS) (SOUNDBITE) (English) EU BREXIT NEGOTIATOR, MICHEL BARNIER, COMING OUT OF THE EUROPEAN COMMISSION BUILDING AND SAYING: "I have no comment. Just 27 EU ambassadors will discuss a second time on the extension request of the UK." VARIOUS OF BARNIER WALKING TO EUROPEAN COUNCIL BUILDING BARNIER ENTERING EU COUNCIL BUILDING
- Embargoed: 8th November 2019 08:21
- Keywords: Brexit Johnson Extension EU Corbyn Election No Deal Barnier Macron EU27 Britain Merkel Conservatives EU Commission
- Location: BRUSSELS, BELGIUM
- City: BRUSSELS, BELGIUM
- Country: Belgium
- Topics: European Union,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA001B2LIATJ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: European Union ambassadors of the 27 countries that will remain in the bloc after Britain leaves were to discuss on Friday (October 25) Britain's request for an extension of the Brexit deadline until January 31, 2020, Michel Barnier said.
The EU's chief Brexit negotiator is due to brief envoys from the 27 member states at a meeting on Friday. An EU official said that the choice was between three months and a "two-tier" lag but warned that a decision might not come just yet.
Under the first idea, Britain would leave on January 31, three months after the current departure date, but earlier if it and the EU ratify an agreement before that. The second one would include a second specific date when Britain could leave.
(Production Christian Levaux, Clement Rossignol, Jorrit Donner Wittkopf)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None