- Title: Yellow vs blue: Hong Kong's restaurants take stance for or against protesters
- Date: 26th October 2019
- Summary: HONG KONG, CHINA (OCTOBER 26, 2019) (REUTERS) PEOPLE QUEUING OUTSIDE LANG MUN CAFE, LABELLED BY PROTESTERS AS "YELLOW" (PRO-DEMOCRACY), IN HUNG HOM DISTRICT SIGN READING (Cantonese) "LANG MUN CAFE" VARIOUS OF PEOPLE QUEUING FOR BREAKFAST VARIOUS OF PRO-DEMOCRACY MOVEMENT CARTOON CHARACTER ON WALL / PEOPLE QUEUING PEOPLE WALKING OUT OF RESTAURANT
- Embargoed: 9th November 2019 07:28
- Keywords: Hong Kong China yellow blue restaurants protesters pro-democracy
- Location: HONG KONG, CHINA/ INTERNET
- City: HONG KONG, CHINA/ INTERNET
- Country: Hong Kong
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA001B2QF1ON
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Hong Kong people joined in a long queue outside a local breakfast cafe on Saturday (October 26) morning outside Lang Mun cafe, labeled by protesters as "yellow ribbon" as they support the anti-government protesters.
These restaurants show their allegiance by various posters supporting the pro-democracy cause and denouncing the police.
Some customers lining up outside the restaurant say they are here to support the cafe because the cafe was recently vandalized by pro-Beijing group, called "blue-ribbon". The restaurant staff declined to speak to Reuters.
Sophia, a 19-year old resident, said she wants to help restaurants that support the protests keep their business, which has been hit by the weekend violence.
Inside a seafood market, Ngan Loong cafe, which supports the police and the government, is also bustling with a crowd that shares their political sentiments. The owner shows her support for the authorities by wearing a blue pro-police t-shirt.
Businesses veering blue or yellow are marked out on a map, making it easier for people to dine in places according to who they support.
Hong Kong is now in its fifth month of protests, which have plunged it into its biggest political crisis in decades and taken a heavy toll on the economy.
(Production: Dogyun Kim, Yoyo Chow, Juarawee Kittisilpa, Yiming Woo)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None