- Title: England cheers, All Blacks tears after momentous semi-final
- Date: 26th October 2019
- Summary: YOKOHAMA, JAPAN (OCTOBER 26, 2019) (REUTERS) ENGLAND FANS CHEERING AND SINGING OUTSIDE STADIUM SPECTATORS LEAVING STADIUM (SOUNDBITE) (English) ENGLAND FAN JAMES BROOKE SAYING: "In their face, they didn't know how to play, (New Zealand coach Steve) Hansen couldn't change it at half time. We were awesome." FANS LEAVING STADIUM (SOUNDBITE) (English) ENGLAND FAN DOMINIC LITTLE, SPEAKING ABOUT COACH EDDIE JONES, SAYING: "He is one hell of a coach, he took all the pressure off us. He sent the boys out, and they shut them down today. Full shut down." FANS LEAVING STADIUM (SOUNDBITE) (English) ENGLAND RUGBY FAN, CHRIS, SAYING "I think they played brilliantly. I have to say I don't think the All Blacks played as they really should do. Perhaps we were little bit lucky in having a bad day for All Blacks, but it was a great day for the UK." (SOUNDBITE) (English) ENGLAND RUGBY FAN, CAT, SAYING: "Yeah, can't wait." (SOUNDBITE) (English) ENGLAND RUGBY FAN RUTH, SAYING: "Yeah, bring it on. It's coming home." FANS LEAVING STADIUM (SOUNDBITE) (English) NEW ZEALAND RUGBY FAN MARK, SAYING: "The good thing was we did not lose because someone got sent off. So the referee did not decide the game. The players decided the game. And England was just way better." (SOUNDBITE) (English) NEW ZEALAND RUGBY FAN, KEVIN, SAYING: "Out coached, out smarted, out muscled. Destroyed." (SOUNDBITE) (English) TEARFUL NEW ZEALAND RUGBY FAN, GEORGE, SAYING: "They were just better than us. You know it is my first big trip. It hurts." FANS LEAVING STADIUM (SOUNDBITE) (English) JAPANESE ALL BLACKS FAN, KODAI, SAYING: "England defence is very very good. All Blacks is a good team. Arigato Gozaimasu (thank you very much)" KODAI BOWING TO CAMERA
- Embargoed: 9th November 2019 11:40
- Keywords: Rugby World Cup England New Zealand
- Location: YOKOHAMA, JAPAN
- City: YOKOHAMA, JAPAN
- Country: Japan
- Topics: Rugby Union,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA001B2QGK73
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: England fans were celebrating in Yokohama on Saturday (October 26) night after their side reached the World Cup final with a 19-7 defeat of the defending champions New Zealand.
England produced one of their greatest performances to end New Zealand's bid for a third successive World Cup as they outplayed the defending champions in an epic match to reach the final for the first time in 12 years.
England dominated from first to last, looked sharper, faster, stronger and more disciplined in attack and fearsome in defence against a team who had not lost a World Cup match since the 2007 quarter-finals but who barely threatened all night.
As one New Zealand fan said afterwards: "Out coached, out smarted, out muscled. Destroyed."
(Production: Jill Gralow, Yoko Kono)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None