- Title: Syria: Five wounded by motorcycle bomb in Tal Abyad
- Date: 26th October 2019
- Summary: TAL ABYAD, SYRIA (OCTOBER 26, 2019) (REUTERS) PEOPLE GATHERED AROUND SITE OF EXPLOSION VARIOUS OF DESTROYED STORES DEBRIS / SMALL FIRE AT STORE FRONT PEOPLE GATHERED AROUND SITE OF EXPLOSION TRAFFIC PASSING BY AMBULANCE DRIVING BY SCENE OF EXPLOSION DEBRIS CAUSED BY EXPLOSION MAN POURING WATER ON SMALL FIRE IN FRONT OF A STORE WHITE PICK-UP TRUCK DESTROYED BY EXPLOSION
- Embargoed: 9th November 2019 16:31
- Keywords: Syria Tal Abyad bomb aftermath motorcycle bomb Turkey U.S. Kurds
- Location: TAL ABYAD, SYRIA
- City: TAL ABYAD, SYRIA
- Country: Syria
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Military Conflicts
- Reuters ID: LVA001B2QHKJR
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: A motorcycle bomb exploded in the city of Tal Abyad in northeast Syria on Saturday (October 26), wounding five people and destroying a number of stores in the area.
The city, which is controlled by the Turkey-backed Syrian rebels lies on Syria's northern border with Turkey and has been the battlefields of a military offensive launched on Oct. 9.
Turkey started its cross-border offensive against the YPG after U.S. President Donald Trump pulled out around 1,000 American troops who had been in the area to help their Kurdish allies combat Islamic State militants.
Turkey halted its military offensive last week under a U.S.-brokered ceasefire. Under an accord then negotiated with Russia, Syrian border guards and Russian military police have now begun clearing the YPG from within 30 km (19 miles) of the Syrian-Turkish frontier.
Ankara regards the YPG as terrorists linked to Kurdish insurgents operating in southeast Turkey.
(Production: Mahmoud Hasano, Tarek Fahmy, Chiara Rodriquez)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None