- Title: Convicted Russian agent lands in Moscow after deportation from U.S
- Date: 26th October 2019
- Summary: MOSCOW, RUSSIA (OCTOBER 26, 2019) (REUTERS) BUTINA, HER FATHER VALERY BUTIN AND RUSSIAN FOREIGN MINISTRY SPOKESWOMAN MARIA ZAKHAROVA WALKING OUT OF AIRPORT GATE, BUTINA RECEIVING FLOWERS AIRPORT SECURITY (SOUNDBITE) (Russian) CONVICTED RUSSIAN AGENT, MARIA BUTINA, SAYING: "I am very thankful to everyone who supported me, all the Russian citizens who helped in word and in deed, who wrote me letters, who donated money for my defence. I am very glad to see my family." MEDIA AND AIRPORT SECURITY BUTINA'S FATHER VALERY BUTIN SPEAKING, BUTINA LAYING HER HEAD OF HIS SHOULDER SIGN IN AIRPORT BUTINA, HER FATHER VALERY BUTIN AND ZAKHAROVA WALKING AWAY
- Embargoed: 9th November 2019 09:35
- Keywords: Maria Butina working as Russian agent released from U.S. prison jailed in U.S. jailed in US convicted agent
- Location: MOSCOW, RUSSIA
- City: MOSCOW, RUSSIA
- Country: Russia
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA002B2QGRBB
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: EDIT CONTAINS VIDEO ORIGINALLY SHOT IN PORTRAIT
Russian national Maria Butina, who was jailed in the United States in April after admitting to working as a Russian agent, arrived in Moscow on Saturday (October 26), greeted by her father and Russian journalists who handed her flowers.
Butina pleaded guilty in December last year to one count of conspiring to act as a foreign agent for Russia by infiltrating a gun rights group and influencing U.S. conservative activists and Republicans.
Her case further strained the U.S.-Russian relations, prompting Moscow to accuse Washington of forcing Butina, a 30-year-old Masters student, to confess to what it described as ridiculous charges.
Russian state television on Saturday showed a brief interview with Butina recorded before her plane took off. Numerous local reporters and TV crews gathered in Sheremetyevo airport to cover her arrival, some with flowers.
(Production: Mikhail Antonov, Dmitry Turlyun)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None