- Title: Nationals fans excited as World Series returns to D.C. for first time since 1933
- Date: 26th October 2019
- Summary: WASHINGTON, D.C., UNITED STATES (OCTOBER 25, 2019) (REUTERS) FANS OUTSIDE OF NATIONALS PARK BEFORE GAME NATS FAN BOB WITH SANTA CLAUS HAT HOLDING HIS PRINTED WORLD SERIES TICKET (SOUNDBITE) (English) NATS FAN BOB WITH SANTA CLAUS HAT SPEAKING TO REPORTER: REPORTER OFF-CAMERA ASKING: "Bob, the big question, is it going to be an early Christmas for the Nats?" NATS FAN BOB WITH SANTA CLAUS HAT SAYING: "Well that's my thing from the beginning is, the beginning of it, the divisional league, I said it will be Christmas in October for the Nationals, and they got it in the bag." FANS WALKING DOWN STREET HOUSTON ASTROS FAN (THAT LIVES IN WASHINGTON, DC) BEING PHOTOGRAPHED OUTSIDE OF STADIUM (SOUNDBITE) (English) ASTROS FAN SAYING: "Yeah I think it's must win but I think we can do it, like three other teams have come back 0-2 (to win World Series after losing first two games at home) so, you know, we've got three of the best pitchers in the Major Leagues right now so I think we can do it." NATS FANS MARY-LOUISE AND KATE WEARING SHARK HATS (SOUNDBITE) (English) NATS FAN MARY-LOUISE SAYING: "It's cool, I mean actually what I love about it is it's really uniting the city, I mean it really is, I mean from like all over the place and that's just cool." NATS FAN WEARING SHARK HEAD MASK FANS WAITING IN LINE START TO WALK INTO STADIUM
- Embargoed: 9th November 2019 01:39
- Keywords: baseball Washington Nationals Houston Astros baseball fans 1924 World Series
- Location: WASHINGTON, DC, UNITED STATES
- City: WASHINGTON, DC, UNITED STATES
- Country: USA
- Topics: Baseball,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA005B2LKO5B
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Fans in Washington, D.C. gathered at Nationals Park hours before the start of the third game of the World Series to enjoy something that hasn't been seen in the area since 1933.
The last time a Major League Baseball (MLB) team from D.C. played in the World Series they were known as the Washington Senators and they lost to the New York Giants in five games. The Senators one and only World Series title came in 1924 when they beat the Giants in seven games.
The 2019 Nationals have the city and it's fans excited as they return to D.C. with a two games to none lead in the best-of-seven series after winning twice in Houston earlier this week.
A Houston fan is sticking by the Astros, wagering a reported $8.5 million that the American League team will stage a comeback to win the World Series.
Jim McIngvale, who calls himself "Mattress Mack", originally bet $3.5 million with a Mississippi casino that the Astros would claim the best-of-seven series, the Houston Chronicle reported.
He added another million after the Nationals surprised the Astros in the series opener in Houston on Tuesday.
The Houston furniture store owner also has bets in Nevada and New Jersey which the Chronicle said could bring in more than $15 million if the Astros win the World Series.
McIngvale placed the bets as a hedge against the possibility that he will have to refund $15 million or more in mattress purchases made by customers as part of his furniture store's "Win it All" promotion, the Chronicle reported.
Customers who make qualified purchases of $3,000 or more will receive refunds if the Astros win the World Series.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None