- Title: 'Sad to say goodbye': Jose Jose fans pay tribute to Mexican singer
- Date: 27th October 2019
- Summary: JOSE JOSE FANS CHEERING (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) JOSE JOSE FAN, PAOLA CASTRO, SAYING: "I liked Jose Jose a lot and I never had the opportunity to go to any of his concerts or and album signings and his death caused us a lot of pain. He's the best, the greatest and we're here to remember and sing with him." JOSE JOSE'S CHILDREN ON STAGE - JOSE JOEL AND MARYSOL SOSA
- Embargoed: 10th November 2019 01:12
- Keywords: Jose Jose fans Mexico City Jose Joel Zocalo
- Location: MEXICO CITY, MEXICO
- City: MEXICO CITY, MEXICO
- Country: Mexico
- Topics: Arts / Culture / Entertainment,Music
- Reuters ID: LVA002B2QI3IB
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Singing ballads with tears in their eyes and clutching portraits of a dapper man in a tuxedo, thousands of fans paid tribute to late pop crooner Jose Jose on Friday (October 25) at Mexico City's Zocalo square.
Born Jose Romula Sosa Ortiz, the singer known for romantic ballads that captivated Latin America for more than half a century died last month in Miami at age 71.
Jose Jose received several Grammy nominations, sold more than 250 million albums and was once courted by music legend Frank Sinatra, who wanted to sign him to his music label.
Famed Mexican singers including Yuri, Mijares and his son, Jose Joel Sosa honoured Jose Jose's legacy by performing some of his hits, including "The Sad One" and "The Ship of Oblivion."
Broadcaster Televisa reported the singer died after complications following treatment for pancreatic cancer. Jose Jose announced two years ago that he had a tumour in his pancreas that was being treated with chemotherapy.
(Production: Rodolfo Pena Roja, Geraldine Downer)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None