- Title: Russian, Polish ice swimmers count down to winter
- Date: 26th October 2019
- Summary: (SOUNDBITE) (Russian) HEAD OF "AMBER WALRUSES", KIRILL POROSHIN, SAYING: "It is a friendly meeting with our friends from Swarzedz. Once a year we visit each other and our bond grows." KALININGRAD, RUSSIA (OCTOBER 25, 2019) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF SWIMMERS IN KALININGRAD
- Embargoed: 9th November 2019 18:35
- Keywords: winter swimming Polish winter swimmers lake swimming competiton amature swimming
- Location: KALININGRAD, RUSSIA
- City: KALININGRAD, RUSSIA
- Country: Russia
- Topics: Human Interest / Brights / Odd News,Society/Social Issues
- Reuters ID: LVA003B2QHI61
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: As clocks change in Europe, ice swimmers are getting ready for the winter.
On Saturday (October 26), Russian and Polish ice-swimmers tested the waters in Kaliningrad - a Russian region that lies on the Baltic Sea between EU members Lithuania and Poland.
The 12 degrees Celsius was a rather cold for newcomers but not for the veterans.
The friendship between Russian and Polish ice-swimming clubs has been going on for years, with teams visiting each otherâ€™s favourite spots twice a year.
Winter swimming is popular among middle-aged and elderly people who either believe in its health benefits - or simply because they just like the way it feels.
(Production: Zhanna Meiler, Dmitry Turlyun, Aiden Nulty)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None