- Title: Kurt Cobain's cardigan reportedly sells for $334,000
- Date: 27th October 2019
- Summary: NEW YORK, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES (RECENT - OCTOBER 21, 2019) (REUTERS) COVER OF JULIEN'S AUCTIONS CATALOGUE WITH PHOTO OF MUSICIAN KURT COBAIN ON COVER ON DISPLAY AT THE HARD ROCK CAFE IN TIMES SQUARE CARDIGAN WORN BY COBAIN AT MTV UNPLUGGED PERFORMANCE, COBAIN'S CUSTOM-BUILT GUITAR WITH LETTER FROM COURTNEY LOVE, AND CATALOGUE COBAIN'S CARDIGAN COBAIN'S GUITAR / COBAIN'S CARDIGAN ITEMS FROM JULIEN'S AUCTIONS "ICONS AND IDOLS: ROCK 'N' ROLL" AUCTION ON DISPLAY, COBAIN'S CARDIGAN ON DISPLAY NEW
- Embargoed: 10th November 2019 12:05
- Keywords: Kurt Cobain cardigan auction music Nirvana
- Location: NEW YORK, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES
- City: NEW YORK, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES
- Country: USA
- Topics: Arts / Culture / Entertainment,Music
- Reuters ID: LVA001B2VHJKP
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: A cardigan owned by music great Kurt Cobain has reportedly sold for $334,000 (Â£260,000) at an auction in New York on Saturday (October 26).
The green acrylic, mohair and Lycra cardigan sweater worn by Cobain during Nirvana's appearance on MTV Unplugged in 1993 surpassed an expected sell price of $300,000 (Â£233,000).
The sale of the iconic garment came as part of the "Icons & Idols: Rock 'N' Roll" auction held by Julien's Auctions.
"It's the holy grail of articles of clothing that you could buy of Kurt Cobain's. And it's really a museum piece. It's just such an important piece of pop culture history," said Julien's Auctions CEO Darren Julien.
Other items also up for sale included a leather glove owned by pop icon Michael Jackson and a mustard yellow velvet jacket worn by Elvis Presley in the film "Girl Happy".
(Production: Andrew Hofstetter, Roselle Chen, Aiden Nulty)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None