- Title: Iraq: Protesters clean up after mass demonstrations
- Date: 26th October 2019
- Summary: BAGHDAD, IRAQ (OCTOBER 26, 2019) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF RIOT POLICE STANDING IN FORMATION BEHIND BARBED WIRES AND MAKESHIFT BLOCKADE ON BRIDGE NEAR 'GREEN ZONE' VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS CHANTING PROTESTER CLEARING RUBBISH AWAY FROM STREET BARBED WIRE, PROTESTER CLEANING VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS SWEEPING UP RUBBISH BESIDE BARBED WIRE PROTESTER DISTRIBUTING BOTTLES OF WATER TO OTHER DEMONSTRATORS VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS CLEANING STREETS (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) UNNAMED PROTESTER, SAYING: ''Look, today we are cleaning our country. It is our country not the country of thieves (rulers). It is our country, we are living in.'' PROTESTER SWEEPING VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS DISTRIBUTING FOOD MEDICS GATHERED UNDER TENT MEDICS FILLING WATER BOTTLES WITH REHYDRATION POWDERS (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) UNNAMED MEDIC, SAYING: ''We are here to provide our brothers, the protesters assistance. We come to help them with water and first aid when they are afflicted with injuries due to teargas.'' MEDICS IN TENT PROTESTER WITH BANDAGED HEAD MAKING PEACE SIGN VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS CHANTING (Arabic): ''WITH SOUL AND SPIRIT''
- Embargoed: 9th November 2019 10:29
- Keywords: Iraq protests Baghdad clean-up
- Location: BAGHDAD, IRAQ
- City: BAGHDAD, IRAQ
- Country: Iraq
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Civil Unrest
- Reuters ID: LVA001B2QGS3R
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Protesters in Baghdad on Saturday (October 26) cleaned up after mass demonstrations which killed at least 40 people.
Eight protesters were killed in Baghdad on Friday (October 25), most of them after being struck by tear gas canisters launched by security forces trying to control the crowds.
Across the country, at least 40 protesters died, as demonstrators vented their frustration at political elites who they say have failed to improve their lives after years of conflict and economic hardship.
Some 200 of the protesters had camped out overnight in the capital's central Tahrir Square, and were cleaning up the area, using brooms and brushes to sweep away debris littering the streets at the entrance of the bridge leading to Baghdad's Green Zone.
Hundreds of protesters gathered again on Saturday in central Baghdad in what is due to be another day of mass demonstrations.
Parliament was set to meet on Saturday in an emergency session to discuss protesters' demands.
(Production: Haider Kadhim, Mohammed al-Ramahi, Mohammed Katfan)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None