- Title: Phoebe Waller-Bridge, Jackie Chan honored at Britannia awards in Beverly Hills
- Date: 26th October 2019
- Summary: BEVERLY HILLS, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES (OCTOBER 25, 2019) (REUTERS) ***WARNING: CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** PHOEBE WALLER-BRIDGE POSING FOR PHOTOS ON RED CARPET (SOUNDBITE) (English) PHOEBE WALLER-BRIDGE, SAYING: "You know I had spent most of the year before working in like under a duvet or under a desk or just trying to write, write and write and then being on set and then suddenly you bring your baby out into the world and it just exploded here and that was the most exciting feeling in the world. Suddenly everybody knows Fleabag, and Fleabag started as such a personal private little story and it's just amazing that it has been embraced by so many people." VARIOUS OF WALLER-BRIDGE HAVING PHOTO TAKEN (SOUNDBITE) (English) PHOEBE WALLER-BRIDGE, SAYING: "Well I am very excited (about Amazon deal). It's been an amazing home, I've had an amazing home there for so long and it has been over the last few years and I couldn't think of anywhere I would rather be making work and they have just really backed me from the beginning and now I am going to up my game for them and try to make it worth it for them." JACKIE CHAN STOPPING FOR INTERVIEW (SOUNDBITE) (English) JACKIE CHAN, SAYING: "I always want to make positive, good message, the message is about love, peace, love your country, love your family, love the world, peace around the world. I think I'm doing all those years, I do the correct things." STEVE COOGAN BEING INTERVIEWED (SOUNDBITE) (English) STEVE COOGAN, SAYING: "I am really happy to be in their company (fellow award recipients). You know, Phoebe Waller-Bridge is someone who is really inspiring and shows that, that ... well certainly in the U.S. and the U.K. we can embrace new talent with a new voice. It is important people keep coming through who have something new and original to say." MORE OF STEVEN COOGAN BEING INTERVIEWED (SOUNDBITE) (English) STEVE COOGAN, SAYING: "Well a lot of it is based on Philip Green because Philip Green is the apotheosis of everything that is wrong with our unchecked and unregulated capitalism, that's what you get. He is a creature that is created by an unfettered and unregulated system." TARON EGERTON ON RED CARPET (SOUNDBITE) (English) TARON EGERTON, SAYING: "Certainly, a role that I, you know, was very passionate about and it has been probably the longest process of any film I've made in terms of all of the work we did developing the music and the style of storytelling but also the most rewarding and just a wonderful, wonderful thing." JAMIE BELL BEING INTERVIEWED (SOUNDBITE) (English) JAMIE BELL, SAYING: "I'd love to meet Pheobe Waller-Bridge. I don't think there is another Brit who has stormed the trail quite as much as she has this year, so she has had extraordinary success. Andrew Scott is a byproduct of that, I mean Andrew, the great Andrew Scott has always been great but he is really having a real moment right now and that is fantastic. My friend Taron Edgerton, who played Elton John in our film Rocketman, I think he is having an extraordinary year, so it is a wonderful evening to celebrate great British talent." (SOUNDBITE) (English) PIERS MORGAN, SAYING: "I've never met Phoebe (Waller-Bridge) and I think she is obviously our rock star now isn't she on the global stage, so I would quite like to meet her. Steve Coogan and I go back a long way but that is more likely to end in fisticuffs." WALLER-BRIDGE ON RED CARPET (SOUNDBITE) (English) PIERS MORGAN, SAYING: "Well when Americans ask what is going on with Brexit I can safely say I have no idea and nor has anybody else. So, if Americans think they have basket case country right now they should come to Britain for a bit and understand what a real basket-case is. We are going nuts and we have no idea what's going on." LUPITA NYONG'O ON RED CARPET DONALD GLOVER ON RED CARPET
- Embargoed: 9th November 2019 06:01
- Keywords: Phoebe Waller-Bridge Steve Coogan Jackie Chan Britannia awards Fleabag
- Location: BEVERLY HILLS, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES
- City: BEVERLY HILLS, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES
- Country: USA
- Topics: Arts / Culture / Entertainment
- Reuters ID: LVA001B2QG959
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Fleabag's Phoebe Waller-Bridge stole the show at the annual BAFTA Britannia Awards in Beverly Hills on Friday (October 25) where the British actress and writer received the Britannia Award for British Artist of the Year.
Fresh from sweeping the Emmy awards last month, the star and creator of Amazon Studios' "Fleabag" said she was happy people had embraced her show.
"You know I had spent most the year before working in like under a duvet or just under a desk or just trying to write, write and write and then being on set and then suddenly you bring your baby out into the world and it just exploded here and that was the most exciting feeling in the world. Suddenly everybody knows Fleabag," said Waller-Bridge, who also created the hit show "Killing Eve."
BAFTA's Britannia Awards celebrate the relationship between British cinema and Hollywood and this year honored action superstar Jackie Chan and Steven Coogan, among others.
Coogan, who can currently be seen in "Greed," said his character in the film was based on controversial British retail tycoon Philip Green.
"Well a lot of it is based on Philip Green because Philip Green is the apotheosis of everything that is wrong with our unchecked and unregulated capitalism, that's what you get. He is a creature that is created by an unfettered and unregulated system," said Coogan.
Oscar-winner Jane Fonda was honored with the Stanley Kubrick Award for Excellence in Film but did not make the ceremony as she was taking part in her weekly climate protests in Washington, D.C.
Past honorees at the Britannia Awards have included Cate Blanchett, Quentin Tarantino and George Clooney.
(Production: Omar Younis)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None