- Title: CHINA-BLAST/SCHOOL Families seek shelter in schools after Tianjin blasts
- Date: 13th August 2015
- Summary: TIANJIN, CHINA (AUGUST 13, 2015) (REUTERS) TENTS PITCHED IN THE SCHOOL COMPOUND OF TEDA NO. 2 ELEMENTARY SCHOOL TENTS IN SCHOOL COMPOUND MEDICAL STAFF HELPING INJURED IN MAKESHIFT CAMP TENTS IN SCHOOL COMPOUND MEDICAL TENTS FAMILY SITTING IN TENT MEDICAL STAFF, VOLUNTEERS AND LOCALS MOVING IN AND OUT OF RESTRICTED AREA MAN HOLDING A POLICE LINE (SOUNDBITE) (Mandarin) 23-YEAR-OLD STUDENT, LI LIAN SAYING: "After I saw the video I thought a lot of people would had have been injured and many homes damaged, so I thought I would come over to help, I feel so sorry for them." VARIOUS OF VOLUNTEERS STANDING BY POLICE LINE (SOUNDBITE) (Mandarin) 32-YEAR-OLD VOLUNTEER, LI CUNXU SAYING: "There must have been a mistake when they were dealing with the storing of security products, storing of flammable and explosive materials, otherwise how could it have been so destructive? I think the authorities should find out who is responsible. The company -- or there could be a loophole in government's supervision unit." MEDICAL TENTS IN SCHOOL COMPOUND MEDICAL STAFF TENDING TO INJURED PEOPLE VARIOUS OF PEOPLE SITTING IN TENT VARIOUS OF INJURED MAN TALKING TO MEDICAL STAFF WOMAN SITTING IN TENT
- Embargoed: 28th August 2015 13:00
- Location: China
- Country: China
- Topics: General
- Reuters ID: LVA9IJ47W5NX3V7PLF3AYYUTJK54
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Families sought shelter and medical attention in a makeshift camp in an elementary school on Thursday (August 13) after massive blasts overnight in China killed at least 44 people.
Dozens of tents were set up in the compound of Teda No. 2 Elementary School to provide assistance to the injured and their relatives and volunteers attended to their needs.
Li Lian, a 23-year-old student came to offer help.
"After I saw the video I think a lot of people would had been injured and many residential were damaged, so I thought I would come over to help, I feel so sorry for them," said Li Lian, 23.
Li Cunxu, a 32-year-old volunteer called on the authorities to investigate the cause of the blasts.
"There must have been a mistake when they were dealing with the storing of security products, storing of flammable and explosive materials, otherwise how could it have been so destructive? I think the authorities should find out who is responsible. The company -- or there could be a loophole in government's supervision unit," said Li.
The huge explosions ripped through an industrial area where toxic chemicals and gas were stored late on Wednesday (August 12), killing at least 44 people, including 12 fire fighters, officials and state media said.
At least 520 people were admitted in local hospitals, more than 60 of them seriously, China's state broadcaster reported.
Internet videos showed fireballs shooting into the sky and the U.S. Geological Survey registered the blasts as seismic events.
Vast areas of the port - the 10th largest in the world - were devastated, crumpled shipping containers were thrown around like match sticks, hundreds of new cars were torched and port buildings left as burnt-out shells, Reuters witnesses said.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None