- Title: Gaza death toll rises, rockets rain on southern Israel
- Date: 13th November 2019
- Summary: GAZA CITY, GAZA (NOVEMBER 13, 2019) (REUTERS) CAR RUSHING TO HOSPITAL, CARRYING WOUNDED FROM ISRAELI STRIKES MEN CARRYING WOUNDED INTO HOSPITAL
- Embargoed: 27th November 2019 10:37
- Keywords: Israel Gaza sirens rockets morgue aftermath destruction
- Location: ASHKELON, ISRAEL-GAZA BORDER AREA, ISRAEL/ GAZA CITY, KHAN YOUNIS, GAZA/ JERUSALEM
- City: ASHKELON, ISRAEL-GAZA BORDER AREA, ISRAEL/ GAZA CITY, KHAN YOUNIS, GAZA/ JERUSALEM
- Country: Palestinian Territories
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace
- Reuters ID: LVA001B5DDK5J
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: THIS VIDEO CONTAINS GRAPHIC IMAGES
Israeli air strikes killed nine Palestinians in Gaza on Wednesday (November 13), medical officials said, raising the Palestinian death toll to 19 over a two-day escalation in violence since Israel launched strikes to kill an Islamic Jihad commander.
From early morning Gaza militants fired rockets into Israel and the Israeli military struck from the air, resuming after an overnight lull.
The bodies of six people killed in Gaza City were brought into Shifa hospital in taxis and ambulances early Wednesday, as relatives wept and screamed. Medics and witnesses said they were civilians who lived in densely populated neighbourhoods.
The worst fighting in months erupted on Tuesday (November 12) after Israel killed Abu Al-Atta, a senior commander of the Iran-backed Islamic Jihad militant group, accusing him of masterminding and planning attacks against Israel.
Despite attempts by diplomats to restore calm, an Islamic Jihad official told Reuters that his group told mediators it intended to carry on its retaliatory attacks. Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said that "It can take time."
Rockets from Gaza sent Israelis rushing to shelters in towns near the Gaza border and deeper in the country. There were no reports of deaths in Israel.
Israel captured Gaza in a 1967 war and withdrew troops and settlements in 2005. The territory has been controlled since 2007 by Hamas while under an Israeli security blockade, also backed by Egypt, which has wrecked its economy.
(Production: Eli Berlzon, Ran Tzabari, Dedi Hayoun, Bassam Masoud, Fadi Shana, Lianne Back)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None