- Title: EGYPT-NOUR EL-SHERIF FUNERAL Funeral held for Egyptian actor Nour el-Sherif
- Date: 12th August 2015
- Summary: CAIRO, EGYPT (AUGUST 12, 2015) (REUTERS) ***WARNING CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** PEOPLE GATHERED OUTSIDE MOSQUE FOR FUNERAL OF EGYPTIAN ACTOR NOUR EL-SHERIF MOURNERS WALKING INTO MOSQUE ACTORS AND MOURNERS WAITING FOR PRAYER VARIOUS OF PROMINENT ACTORS AT FUNERAL, INCLUDING ADEL IMAM AND MAHMOUD YASINNE
- Embargoed: 27th August 2015 13:00
- Location: Egypt
- Country: Egypt
- Topics: General
- Reuters ID: LVA3SIWAPTVHGMPQYRJH3ZNV4G07
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: A funeral for Egyptian actor Nour el-Sherif was held at Masjid al-Shorta mosque in Cairo on Wednesday (August 12).
Sherif died on Tuesday (August 12) at the age of 69, after a long struggle with illness.
Actors Adel Imam and Mahmoud Yassine were among hundreds of people who attended the funeral.
Mohamed Fadel, who directed Sherif's first hit TV show, paid tributes to the actor.
"My opinion is that Nour el-Sherif wasn't only an actor - he was also an Egyptian patriotic intellect who directed his talents in acting, to display his political and social cinematic visions. He always had his special vision, even at times when that caused him trouble, like when he appeared in the film Najy al-Aly," he said.
Former Member of Parliament, Mostafa Bakry, said that Egypt had lost a great talent.
"He always reflected the Egyptian character, with all its details, the social and patriotic sides, and he also appeared in roles and took positions that gave him attention on a regional level."
Sherif was born in 1946 in al-Sayeda Zeinab in Cairo. His real name is Mohamed Gaber Mohamed Abdullah.
Sherif was interested in football, but his passion for acting was a lot stronger.
Sherif studied theatre, graduating in 1967.
Since then, Sherif acted in about 170 films, including several that are considered classics in Egyptian cinema.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None