- Title: Gazan women speak up against gender-based violence
- Date: 27th November 2019
- Summary: LOGO OF 16 DAYS OF ACTIVISM AGAINST GENDER-BASED VIOLENCE CAMPAIGN READING (Arabic): "We Are All Against Violence" MEN PERFORMING AS PART OF PLAY
- Embargoed: 11th December 2019 15:05
- Keywords: International Day for the Elimination of Violence against Women Domestic violence in Gaza Palestinian women Women rights in Gaza
- Location: GAZA CITY, GAZA
- City: GAZA CITY, GAZA
- Country: Palestinian Territories
- Topics: Society/Social Issues
- Reuters ID: LVA004B7BBIAD
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: It took Najwa Abu Sleil, a survivor of domestic violence in Gaza, a lot of courage to tell the story of her ordeal in front of an audience of women wearing orange scarves.
The event is part of a campaign to mark 16 Days of Activism against Gender-based Violence, where boats at Gaza port were lit in orange, with other women dipping their hands in orange paint to speak up against the practice. The activities also included theatre and musical performances.
Nearly 70 national and international partners, including the United Nations and the European Union, have organised the series of events.
About 27 percent of Palestinian women in Gaza, the occupied West Bank and East Jerusalem have suffered some form of violence at the hands of their husbands, the Palestinian Bureau of Statistics said in a study.
The figure was higher than the national average in the impoverished Gaza Strip, reaching nearly 38 percent, the study found.
Human rights groups say it is hard to collect accurate information about violence committed inside families where victims feel such revelations are shameful.
Gaza, home to about 2 million people, is ruled by the Palestinian Islamist Hamas group and is under an Israeli security blockade.
(Production: Suheir Sheikh, Abed Shana, Arafat Barbakh, Nehad Khalil, Nidal Almughrabi)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.