- Title: Israeli troops kill Palestinian near Gaza security fence -Palestinians
- Date: 29th November 2019
- Summary: KHAN YOUNIS, GAZA (NOVEMBER 29, 2019) (REUTERS) PALESTINIANS CHANTING WHILE WALKING NEAR STRETCHER CARRYING BODY OF 16-YEAR-OLD FAHD AL-ASTAL, WHO WAS KILLED BY ISRAELI FIRE FATHER OF AL-ASTAL CRYING NEXT TO BODY BODY ON STRETCHER BEING TAKEN TO MORGUE MAN SCREAMING WHILE STANDING NEXT TO BODY RELATIVE OF AL-ASTAL CRYING PEOPLE OUTSIDE MORGUE EXTERIOR OF HOSPITAL'S EMERGENCY ROOM PARAMEDICS TAKING INJURED YOUNG MAN INTO HOSPITAL AMBULANCE ARRIVING HOSPITAL
- Embargoed: 13th December 2019 17:09
- Keywords: Gaza protests killed Israeli army Palestinians hospital
- Location: KHAN YOUNIS, GAZA
- City: KHAN YOUNIS, GAZA
- Country: Palestinian Territories
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace
- Reuters ID: LVA001B7L8GUF
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: THIS EDIT CONTAINS GRAPHIC IMAGES
Israeli soldiers shot and killed a Palestinian teenager near the border fence with the Gaza Strip on Friday (November 29), Palestinian officials said.
Local residents said a few dozen Palestinians had approached the border fence, an area in which Israel's military, citing security concerns, enforces a "no go" zone. Some in the crowd hurled stones at the barrier, residents said.
One 16-year-old, Fahd Al-Astal, was killed and four other people were wounded by live fire, Gaza's health ministry said.
An Israeli army spokesman said soldiers had "identified a number of attempts to approach the fence as well as a number of attempts to sabotage it".
Israeli soldiers have been confronted by frequent Palestinian protests that often turn violent along the Gaza border. They have used tear gas, rubber bullets and live ammunition against demonstrators who the military said hurled rocks or petrol bombs at them.
The organizers of those massive protests said they had called off this week's demonstration.
Egypt, Qatar and the United Nations have been working to keep the border calm.
Gaza officials say about 210 Palestinians have been killed since the weekly protests began in March 2018. In that time an Israeli soldier was also shot dead by a Palestinian sniper along the frontier and another was killed during an undercover raid into Gaza.
(Production: Nehad Khalil/Bassam Massoud/Roleen Tafakji)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None