- Title: Tensions simmer as protesters scuffle with police in Beirut
- Date: 11th December 2019
- Summary: BEIRUT, LEBANON (DECEMBER 11, 2019) (REUTERS) (NIGHT SHOTS) RIOT POLICE IN DOWNTOWN BEIRUT PROTESTERS THROWING STONES AT POLICE MORE OF POLICE PROTESTERS VARIOUS OF POLICE VEHICLE VARIOUS OF POLICE PERSONNEL ON ARMOURED VEHICLE FIRING TEAR GAS AT PROTESTERS AMBULANCE IN STREET
- Embargoed: 25th December 2019 23:49
- Keywords: lebanon police protest teargas
- Location: BEIRUT, LEBANON
- City: BEIRUT, LEBANON
- Country: Lebanon
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace
- Reuters ID: LVA001B9O7FWN
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Tensions simmered in Beirut late on Wednesday night (December 11) as protesters clashed with Lebanese security force.
A group of people - believed to mainly be supporters of the Shi'ite groups of Hezbollah and Amal movement - were trying to approach one of the protest squares in central Beirut when they were faced with riot police.
Some of the men were throwing rocks and burning tyres. Riot police used tear gas in return.
Lebanon has been facing weeks of anti-government protests since October 17, fuelled by anger at corruption among the sectarian politicians who have governed Lebanon for decades.
Clashes broke out previously at several times between the anti-government protesters and supporters of the Shi'ite groups Hezbollah and Amal movement.
Lebanon grapples with the worst economic crisis since the 1975-90 civil war, and is yet to nominate a new prime minister to form the next government since Saad al-Hariri resigned as prime minister prompted by the protests against the ruling elite.
(Issam Abdallah, Yara Abi Nader)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None