- Title: Messi describes each of his six Ballon d'Or awards as individually special
- Date: 11th December 2019
- Summary: HOSPITALET DE LLOBREGAT NEAR BARCELONA, SPAIN (DECEMBER 11, 2019) (REUTERS) ***WARNING: CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** LIONEL MESSI, ARRIVING ON STAGE AND GREETING FANS IN ATTENDANCE MESSI ON STAGE STANDING BETWEEN HIS NEW BOOTS AND BALLON D'OR TROPHY MESSI ON STAGE MASTER OF CEREMONIES ASKING MESSI A QUESTION (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) BARCELONA CAPTAIN, LIONEL MESSI, ON WINNING THE BALLON D'OR, SAYING: "The truth is that all are special, all are different. Each one has something special. This, I said at the time, is special for the moment in which I find myself on a personal and football level, so it is very special. They are all special, each one has its own little meaning and this one too." MASTER OF CEREMONIES ASKING MESSI A QUESTION (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) BARCELONA CAPTAIN, LIONEL MESSI, ON EL CLASICO, SAYING: "A very strong Real Madrid as it is and as they have been demonstrating, which has been very regular in recent games and in the Champions League. Barca (versus) Madrid, Madrid (versus) Barca are always separate games, special games that doesn't matter how one or the other arrives. Although I think we are both in a very good moment, these are games that go apart." MESSI ON STAGE WITH HIS NEW BOOTS (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) BARCELONA CAPTAIN, LIONEL MESSI, ON LAST SEASON'S CHAMPIONS LEAGUE EXIT AGAINST LIVERPOOL, SAYING: "To be honest, that is always there, but we must and we have to start from scratch because it is like that, a new year, a new competition. Obviously learning from the past and from mistakes, but thinking about the present and what is coming. Forget about what we experienced last year and the previous year, because it would be a mistake to fall into that again." MESSI ON STAGE STANDING BETWEEN HIS NEW BOOTS AND BALLON D'OR TROPHY (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) BARCELONA CAPTAIN, LIONEL MESSI, ON LA LIGA'S COMPETITIVENESS, SAYING: "Yes, it is not from this year, several years ago we noticed it, we know that everything is getting even more equal. That anyone beats anyone, that it is very difficult to play as a visitor because home teams have become very strong. They know that their goals come through playing well at home and that makes everything more even and more complicated. I think everything is more and more even." MESSI ON STAGE STANDING BETWEEN HIS NEW BOOTS AND BALLON D'OR TROPHY (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) BARCELONA CAPTAIN, LIONEL MESSI, ON THE SECRET TO HIS SUCCESS, SAYING: "Many times I said it. I think that work, effort, wanting to improve myself day by day makes me want to better myself. (I) want to continue growing, want to learn and the day to day work, take care of myself, rest, enjoy. (I) especially enjoy what I do. I am grateful to be able to play what I love so much and I think there is no greater secret than perseverance and work." MESSI ON STAGE STANDING NEXT TO HIS NEW BOOTS (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) BARCELONA CAPTAIN, LIONEL MESSI, ON NEW BOOTS DESIGN, SAYING: "No, that happened (boots breaking) a lot before. The truth is that before you needed a couple of workouts and games to feel comfortable, but today as soon as you put them on you are already doing well. They are practically tailored. The truth is that the people who take care of this are very careful and make everything easier and now at the same time they bring them to me I can already use them with confidence." VARIOUS OF MESSI POSING FOR PHOTOS WITH TWO CHILDREN AND BALLON D'OR TROPHY MESSI SHAKING HANDS WITH THE TWO CHILDREN VARIOUS OF MESSI POSING WITH YOUTUBERS VARIOUS OF MESSI SIGNING BOOTS SIGNED BOOTS AND MESSI MESSI WAVING AT FANS IN ATTENDANCE BEFORE LEAVING
- Embargoed: 25th December 2019 20:45
- Keywords: Adidas Ballon d'Or Barca Barcelona Champions League exit El Clasico Lionel Messi
- Location: HOSPITALET DE LLOBREGAT NEAR BARCELONA, SPAIN
- City: HOSPITALET DE LLOBREGAT NEAR BARCELONA, SPAIN
- Country: Spain
- Topics: Soccer,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA001B9JA1BZ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Barcelona captain and football superstar Lionel Messi tackled a range of questions during an event unveiling his new boots designed by German brand Adidas on Wednesday (December 11) in Barcelona.
With his recently won Ballon d'Or trophy also on show, Messi described each on his record six golden ball accolades that he has won as individually special.
The Argentine previewed next Wednesday's (December 18) El Clasico against Real Madrid, saying that both sides find themselves on good form.
On last season's dramatic Champions League semi-final exit against Liverpool, where they lost 4-3 on aggregate having held a 3-0 first leg lead, Messi admitted the emotions of that loss are "always there" but urged his team mates to learn from their mistakes and forget the experience.
The 32-year-old also praised La Liga's ever-growing competitiveness before revealing that the secret to his success is "perseverance and work".
(Production: Luis Felipe Casti)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None