- Title: Likelihood of second volcanic eruption on White Island increases
- Date: 12th December 2019
- Summary: WHITE ISLAND, NEW ZEALAND (DECEMBER 12, 2019) (REUTERS) SMOKING VOLCANO
- Embargoed: 26th December 2019 05:20
- Keywords: New Zealand White Island disaster eruption natural disaster volcano
- Location: WELLINGTON, WHATAKANE, NEW ZEALAND
- City: WELLINGTON, WHATAKANE, NEW ZEALAND
- Country: New Zealand
- Topics: Disaster/Accidents,Earthquakes/Volcanoes/Tsunami
- Reuters ID: LVA001B9O50ZR
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: The risk of a second eruption at White Island has increased to 50 to 60 percent on Thursday (December 12) as authorities made plans to recover the bodies left on the volcanic island.
Twenty-one patients are still being treated in hospitals across New Zealand following the volcanic eruption on Monday (December 9). Sixteen of these patients are still considered to be in critical condition.
The transportation of Australian patients back to Australia for treatment has taken "considerable pressure" off New Zealand's burns unit who have been working around the clock said Ashley Bloomfield, Director-General of Health.
There were 47 people on the island, also known by its Maori name Whakaari, at the time of the eruption. Twenty-four of those were from Australia, nine from the United States, five from New Zealand, four from Germany, two each from China and Britain and one from Malaysia.
(Production: Cordelia Hsu)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None