- Title: Asian shares mixed as US-China's 'phase one' trade deal boosts confidence
- Date: 16th December 2019
- Summary: TOKYO, JAPAN (DECEMBER 16, 2019) (REUTERS) EXTERIOR OF TOKYO STOCK EXCHANGE SIGN READING (English) "JPX TOKYO STOCK EXCHANGE" ELECTRONIC BOARD AT TOKYO STOCK EXCHANGE AT OPENING VARIOUS OF NIKKEI 225 INDEX'S MOVEMENTS STOCK PRICES ON ELECTRONIC BOARD INTERIOR OF TOKYO STOCK EXCHANGE VARIOUS OF TOKYO STOCK EXCHANGE WORKERS HONG KONG, CHINA (DECEMBER 16, 2019) (REUTERS) CHINA FLAG, HONG KONG FLAG AND EXCHANGE FLAG FLYING STOCK EXCHANGE PLAZA EXCHANGE SQUARE BUILDING VARIOUS OF ELECTRONIC BOARD SHOWING HANG SENG INDEX OPENING VARIOUS OF TRADERS LOOKING AT MONITORS
- Embargoed: 30th December 2019 03:34
- Keywords: Asia markets Hang Seng Hong Kong Japan KOSPI Nikkei South Korea
- Location: SEOUL, SOUTH KOREA / HONG KONG, CHINA / TOKYO, JAPAN
- City: SEOUL, SOUTH KOREA / HONG KONG, CHINA / TOKYO, JAPAN
- Country: South Korea
- Topics: Economic Events
- Reuters ID: LVA001BA8583R
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Asian shares were mixed on Monday (December 16) as investors welcomed a trade agreement between Beijing and Washington over the weekend, but enthusiasm was capped by lingering scepticism about the deal.
U.S. Trade Representative Robert Lighthizer on Sunday (December 15) said a deal was "totally done", notwithstanding some needed revisions, and would nearly double U.S. exports to China over the next two years.
At the opening bell, Japan's Nikkei 225 succumbed to profit-taking, easing 0.1% after surging to a 14-month closing high on Friday (December 13). Meanwhile, Hong Kong's Hang Seng shed 0.6% on Monday, while South Korea's Kospi added about 0.1%.
The "phase one" agreement suspended a threatened round of U.S. tariffs on a $160 billion (125 billion pounds) list of Chinese imports that was scheduled to take effect on Sunday. The United States also agreed to halve the tariff rate, to 7.5%, on $120 billion worth of Chinese goods.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None