- Title: Ukraine police scuffle with protesters in Kiev
- Date: 17th December 2019
- Summary: ***WARNING: CONTAINS PROFANITY*** POLICE PICKING UP BATONS / PROTESTERS CRAWLING ON HIS HANDS AND KNEES, STANDING UP / POLICE TAKING PROTESTER AWAY (PROFANITY OVERHEARD) POLICE DRAGGING TENTS AWAY POLICE TAKING PROTESTER AWAY, WRINGING HIS HANDS RIOT POLICE STANDING IN FORMATION / PROTESTERS THROWING BRICKS AT POLICE PROTESTERS THROWING OBJECTS AT POLICE POLICE WITH BATONS RUNNING TOWARDS PROTESTERS POLICEMEN TRYING TO DRAG PROTESTER AWAY AS OTHER PROTESTERS CONFRONTING THEM SHOUTING (Russian) "HE IS A WAR HERO!" (PROFANITY OVERHEARD) / POLICE WALKING AWAY RIOT POLICE RUNNING PROTESTERS THROWING OBJECTS AT POLICE / PROTESTERS RUNNING AWAY VARIOUS OF POLICE RUNNING AFTER PROTESTERS RIOT POLICE SCUFFLING WITH PROTESTER (PROFANITY OVERHEARD) VARIOUS OF POLICEMEN TAKING PROTESTERS AWAY PROTESTERS SHOUTING (Ukrainian) "DISGRACE!" RIOT POLICE RUNNING IN FORMATION AMBULANCES ARRIVING RIOT POLICE WALKING KIEV, UKRAINE (DECEMBER 17, 2019) (REUTERS) PROTESTERS IN BEGINNING OF RALLY IN FRONT OF UKRAINIAN PARLIAMENT BUILDING RIOT POLICE WATCHING RALLY UKRAINIAN COAT OF ARMS ON PARLIAMENT BUILDING VARIOUS OF RALLY IN PROGRESS POLICE STANDING BEHIND PERIMETER FENCING
- Embargoed: 31st December 2019 16:28
- Keywords: Ukraine land reform parliament police protesters tents
- Location: KIEV, UKRAINE
- City: KIEV, UKRAINE
- Country: Ukraine
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA003BAD5RNR
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: THIS EDIT CONTAINS PROFANE LANGUAGE
Scuffles broke out in Kiev on Tuesday (December 17) as Ukrainian police attempted to prevent protesters from setting up a tent camp on a road outside the parliament building.
Protesters gathered on the square outside the parliament building to rally against the land reform which, if voted for in the second reading, will remove a ban on the sale of farmland.
The ban would be lifted in October 2020 and foreigners will not be able to buy land until 2024.
Supporters who want to scrap the moratorium say that doing so will unlock enormous investment potential in what is already one of the world's top grain exporters. Critics have concerns, including that it could allow local oligarchs to snap up land or that foreigners will muscle out poorer Ukrainians in purchasing plots.
Ukrainian lawmakers are expected to take a vote on the land reform on Thursday (December 19).
(Production: Sergiy Karazy, Margaryta Chornokondratenko, Tatiana Gomozova)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None