- Title: Ukraine police scuffle with protesters in Kiev
- Date: 17th December 2019
- Summary: ***WARNING: CONTAINS PROFANITY*** TWO MEN HELPING PROTESTER WITH BLOOD ON HIS HEAD TO WALK (PROFANITY OVERHEARD)
- Embargoed: 31st December 2019 16:28
- Keywords: Ukraine land reform parliament police protesters tents
- Location: KIEV, UKRAINE
- City: KIEV, UKRAINE
- Country: Ukraine
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA002BAD5RNR
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: THIS EDIT CONTAINS PROFANE LANGUAGE
Scuffles broke out in Kiev on Tuesday (December 17) as Ukrainian police attempted to prevent protesters from setting up a tent camp on a road outside the parliament building.
Protesters gathered on the square outside the parliament building to rally against the land reform which, if voted for in the second reading, will remove a ban on the sale of farmland.
The ban would be lifted in October 2020 and foreigners will not be able to buy land until 2024.
Supporters who want to scrap the moratorium say that doing so will unlock enormous investment potential in what is already one of the world's top grain exporters. Critics have concerns, including that it could allow local oligarchs to snap up land or that foreigners will muscle out poorer Ukrainians in purchasing plots.
Ukrainian lawmakers are expected to take a vote on the land reform on Thursday (December 19).
(Production: Sergiy Karazy, Margaryta Chornokondratenko, Tatiana Gomozova)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: WARNING: Editors please note, this clip contains graphic material