- Title: Violence in New Delhi over citizenship law
- Date: 17th December 2019
- Summary: NEW DELHI, INDIA (DECEMBER 17, 2019) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) TEAR GAS SMOKE RISING, POLICE AND PROTESTERS GATHERED ON STREET PROTESTER BEING ARRESTED BY POLICE OFFICERS POLICE GATHERED ON STREET, SMOKE RISING
- Embargoed: 31st December 2019 11:50
- Keywords: Citizenship Amendment Act India Narendra Modi New Delhi clash police protest tear gas violence
- Location: NEW DELHI, INDIA
- City: NEW DELHI, INDIA
- Country: India
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Civil Unrest
- Reuters ID: LVA001BAD5LC7
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Clashes erupted in New Delhi on Tuesday (December 17) between thousands of protesters and police, the latest violence in a week of opposition to a new law that makes it easier for non-Muslims from neighbouring countries to gain citizenship.
Police fired tear gas in the New Seelampur part of the capital to push back protesters swarming to barricades and throwing stones. At least two police were injured, a Reuters witness said.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi's government says the new law will save religious minorities such as Hindus and Christians from persecution in neighbouring Bangladesh, Pakistan and Afghanistan by offering them a path to Indian citizenship.
But the law does not apply to Muslims, which critics say weakens India's secular foundations.
Cars were damaged and roads strewn with rocks while small fires on the road sent smoke into the air. Small groups of youth, some with their faces covered, threw stones and bottles.
There have been growing questions about the stance of the government, led by Modi's Hindu-nationalist party, towards India's 172 million Muslims, or 14 percent of the population.
The citizenship law follows the revocation of the special status of the Muslim-majority Kashmir region, and a court ruling clearing the way for the construction of a Hindu temple on the site of a mosque razed by Hindu zealots.
(Production: ANI, Adnan Abidi, Aiden Nulty)
- Copyright Holder: ANI (India)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None