- Title: File footage of Xinjiang camps amid Chinese backlash against Arsenal's Ozil
- Date: 17th December 2019
- Summary: HOTAN COUNTY, XINJIANG UIGHUR AUTONOMOUS REGION, CHINA (FILE - JANUARY 5, 2019) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF RESIDENTS AT HOTAN COUNTY VOCATIONAL EDUCATION TRAINING CENTRE PERFORMING TRADITIONAL ETHNIC MINORITY DANCE KASHGAR, XINJIANG UIGHUR AUTONOMOUS REGION, CHINA (FILE - JANUARY 4, 2019) (REUTERS) CLASS ATTENDEES SINGING THE SONG "IF YOU'RE HAPPY AND YOU KNOW IT"
- Embargoed: 31st December 2019 08:09
- Keywords: Arsenal China Mesut Ozil Uighur Xinjiang camps fans human rights soccer
- Location: DABANCHENG, KASHGAR, HOTAN COUNTY, XINJIANG UIGHUR AUTONOMOUS REGION, BEIJING, CHINA
- City: DABANCHENG, KASHGAR, HOTAN COUNTY, XINJIANG UIGHUR AUTONOMOUS REGION, BEIJING, CHINA
- Country: China
- Topics: Government/Politics,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA002BAD4D3B
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Comments made by Arsenal's Mesut Ozil criticising China's policies towards its Muslim Uighur minority have resulted in backlash--both from the government and soccer fans--across China.
Arsenal distanced itself from Ozil's comments, saying that they were entirely his personal opinion. China's state broadcaster CCTV later removed Arsenal's Premier League game against Manchester City from its Sunday (December 15) broadcast schedule.
China's Foreign Ministry chimed in on Monday (December 16) when spokesman Geng Shuang said Ozil "had been completely deceived by fake news and false statements".
The United Nations and human rights groups estimate that between 1 million and 2 million people, mostly ethnic Uighur Muslims, have been detained in harsh conditions in Xinjiang as part of what Beijing calls an anti-terrorism campaign.
China has repeatedly denied any mistreatment of Uighurs.
(Production: Joseph Campbell)
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.