- Title: Guterres asks international community to be bold
- Date: 17th December 2019
- Summary: GENEVA, SWITZERLAND (DECEMBER 17, 2019) (REUTERS) ***WARNING: CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** UNITED NATIONS BUILDING, VARIOUS HELICOPTER MAN SPEAKING TO SECURITY PERSONNEL PRESIDENT OF TURKEY RECEP TAYYIP ERDOGAN ARRIVING, VARIOUS CONFERENCE HALL OF THE GLOBAL REFUGEE FORUM STAGE WITH HOSTS SECRETARY GENERAL OF THE UN AND FORMER UN HIGH COMMISSIONER FOR REFUGEES ANTONIO GUTERRES NEXT TO ERDOGAN'S EMPTY CHAIR ERDOGAN ARRIVING AT STAGE
- Embargoed: 31st December 2019 11:17
- Keywords: Global Refugee Forum Gutererres
- Location: GENEVA, SWITZERLAND
- City: GENEVA, SWITZERLAND
- Country: Switzerland
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA001BAD6LON
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: UN General Secretary Antonio Guterres urged the international community to carry out new strategies in order to improve the situations for refugees worldwide.
"This is a moment for ambition," Guterres said at the Global Refugee Forum in Geneva, Switzerland.
The first-ever forum of its kind is a global gathering aimed at transforming the way the world responds to refugee situations.
Guterres, who held the office of the UN High Commissioner for Refugees from 2005 to 2015, praised the Global Compact on Refugees as a collective achievement.
The framework encouraging international cooperation was affirmed by the UNHCR on Tuesday.
The Forum brings together refugees, heads of state and government, UN leaders, international institutions, development organisations, business leaders and civil society representatives
(Production: CÃ©cile Mantovani, UNHCR, Lena Toepler)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None