- Title: Judge sentences ex-Trump campaign aide Gates to probation and 45 days in jail
- Date: 17th December 2019
- Summary: WASHINGTON, D.C., UNITED STATES (DECEMBER 17, 2019) (REUTERS) TRUMP EX-CAMPAIGN AIDE RICK GATES LEAVING COURT AFTER HIS SENTENCING GATES WALKING PAST CAMERAS TOWARDS A WAITING VEHICLE GATES ENTERING VEHICLE VEHICLE DRIVING OFF
- Embargoed: 31st December 2019 18:26
- Keywords: Mueller Rick Gates Russia Trump sentence
- Location: WASHINGTON, D.C., UNITED STATES
- City: WASHINGTON, D.C., UNITED STATES
- Country: USA
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA001BAD7T53
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:A federal judge on Tuesday (December 17) sentenced U.S. President Donald Trump's former deputy campaign chairman Rick Gates to serve an intermittent term of 45 days in jail and 36 months of probation, saying that while she was moved by his extensive cooperation with prosecutors, she still felt some punishment was in order.
U.S. District Judge Amy Berman Jackson said she had struggled for some time with how to sentence Gates, who met with investigators more than 50 times and helped the government secure convictions of Republican operatives Paul Manafort and Roger Stone after he pleaded guilty in February 2018 to lying to the FBI and the special counsel's office and conspiring against the United States.
Gates, who held senior posts on the president's campaign team and inauguration committee, was one of several former Trump aides and advisers to be charged in Mueller's investigation that documented Russian interference in the 2016 U.S. election. Gates, 47, initially pleaded not guilty but reversed himself in February 2018 and agreed to cooperate with prosecutors.
Jackson also said he will be required to pay a $20,000 fine, complete community service and continue cooperating in several still-ongoing investigations.
(Production: Gershon Peaks, Greg Savoy, Pavithra George)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None