- Title: Woman struck and killed by falling debris in Times Square
- Date: 17th December 2019
- Summary: NEW YORK, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES (DECEMBER 17, 2019) (REUTERS) BUILDING FROM WHICH THE DEBRIS FELL AND FIRETRUCK NYC BUILDING WORKERS LOOKING (SOUNDBITE) (English) WOMAN WHO WORKS IN MANHATTAN, AMY WARREN, SAYING: "It could be me. I am a woman. I work in the city. I'm coming out of the subway. I live in New York City. I pay taxes. I'm raising my child here. I get off the train. I walk up the stairs and I'm surrounded by a group of reporters and ambulances telling me that a piece of debris killed somebody." PEOPLE LOOKING UP FIRETRUCK POLICE OFFICER TYING POLICE TAPE (SOUNDBITE) (English) PABLO BLACK, NEW YORKER, SAYING: "I heard that some piece of brick or something from the building fell on an old lady's head and killed her this morning. So I don't understand why people are standing around here because things are falling from the buildings. I feel sorry for the old lady. God bless her soul, but things happen. So that's why everybody is out here today." EMERGENCY VEHICLES EMERGENCY WORKERS (SOUNDBITE) (English) PABLO BLACK, NEW YORKER, SAYING: "Scared. Scared. Because anything can fall from one of these buildings and it's over for me. And there's nothing we can do about it. There's nothing we can do about it." EMERGENCY WORKERS AMBULANCE LEAVING
- Embargoed: 31st December 2019 19:06
- Keywords: Times Square brick pedestrian struck woman killed
- Location: NEW YORK, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES
- City: NEW YORK, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES
- Country: USA
- Topics: Disaster/Accidents
- Reuters ID: LVA001BAD85S7
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: PLEASE NOTE: AUDIO AS INCOMING
A 60-year old pedestrian in midtown Manhattan was killed late Tuesday (December 17) morning after a piece of debris fell from a New York building.
The woman was struck while walking through the business district located just north of Times Square.
The New York Fire Department received a call at 1045 AM EST (1545 GMT) but the woman had already died from the trauma.
The woman's name has not been released.
The incident sent a chill throughout the area.
"Anything can fall from one of these buildings and it's over for me. And there's nothing we can do about it. There's nothing we can do about it," Pablo Black, a New Yorker passing through the area, told Reuters.
(Production: Soren Larson, Dan Fastenberg, Angela Moore)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None