- Title: Kurds protest against Erdogan at UN's Global Forum on Refugees
- Date: 17th December 2019
- Summary: POLICE OFFICERS IN FRONT OF U.N. (SOUNDBITE) (French) LEADER OF KURDISH DEMOCRATIC SOCIETY CENTRE IN SWITZERLAND, RAMAZAN BAYTAR, SAYING: "The fact that the U.N. called Erdogan as a co-president of this first forum clearly shows that there is a U.N. and an international forces' involvement against the Kurdish people. This is a 'yes' to the genocide of the Kurdish people. Not only did they do nothing to prevent such a genocide, they support it." MEN WAVING FLAG VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS PUTTING CHILDREN SHOES ON GROUND
- Embargoed: 31st December 2019 13:23
- Keywords: Erdogan Global Forum on Refugees in Geneva Kurdish Kurds Turkey UNHCR
- Location: GENEVA, SWITZERLAND
- City: GENEVA, SWITZERLAND
- Country: Switzerland
- Reuters ID: LVA005BAD6MH3
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Dozens of Kurds from the diaspora and pro-Kurdish demonstrators gathered outside the United Nations in Geneva on Tuesday (December 17) to protest against Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan's participation at the Global Refugee Forum.
Around 150 protesters chanted slogans to denounce Erdogan's policies, holding signs reading "Erdogan not welcome" and "your silence makes HitlErdogan stronger."
Turkish forces launched an offensive which demonstrators said was a "genocide" into northern Syria on October 9 to drive Kurdish militia away from the border region.
The military operation was widely condemned by Turkey's NATO allies which said it had caused a fresh humanitarian crisis in Syria's eight-year conflict and could let Islamic State prisoners held by the Syrian Kurdish YPG militia escape and regroup.
(Production: CÃ©cile Mantovani / Marina Depetris)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None