- Title: Scuffles erupt at Paris anti-pension reform march
- Date: 17th December 2019
- Summary: PARIS, FRANCE (DECEMBER 17, 2019) (REUTERS) RIOT POLICE CHARGING AND GRABBING AND TACKLING MAN BEFORE LETTING HIM GO PROTESTERS RUNNING FROM TEAR GAS RIOT POLICE RETREATING NEAR TEAR GAS RIOT POLICE DRAGGING MAN AWAY RIOT POLICE ENCIRCLING MAN RIOT POLICE GATHERED RIOT POLICE CHARGING RIOT POLICE ADVANCING OFFICER HOLDING RIOT GUN RIOT POLICE ESCORTING FIREFIGHTERS FIREFIGHTER PUTTING OUT BURNING GARBAGE CAN RIOT POLICE STANDING AMID GAS PROTESTERS GATHERED WITH FRENCH FLAG RIOT POLICE GATHERED
- Embargoed: 31st December 2019 16:13
- Keywords: Macron Paris Pensions reform police protest riot violence
- Location: PARIS, FRANCE
- City: PARIS, FRANCE
- Country: France
- Topics: Lawmaking,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA001BAD7UPZ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Scuffles between riot police and protesters briefly erupted on Tuesday (December 17) at an anti-pension reform march in Paris.
Police charged and fired tear gas. At least one man was dragged away by police after a charge, while a few garbage cans were set on fire.
Unions called for the mobilisation hoping for a jolt in momentum after rolling strikes and protests had started to tail off in recent days.
Thousands of rail workers, nurses, teachers and public service employees marched in Paris on Tuesday afternoon.
Former investment banker Macron aims to streamline the Byzantine state pension system and prod people to work until 64, instead of the average retirement age now of 62.
The unions and Macron are each hoping to push the other to back down before Christmas, with the prospect that strikes over the holiday would alienate an increasingly frustrated public. But unionists say they are not ready to give in.
(Production: Antoine Boddaert, Manuel Ausloos)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None