- Title: French police, protesters clash in pension reform demonstrations
- Date: 17th December 2019
- Summary: PARIS, FRANCE (DECEMBER 17, 2019) (REUTERS) POLICE MARCHING FORWARD, POLICE LINE BEING HITTING PROJECTILES PROTESTERS THROWING PROJECTILES, SMOKE RISING AND RED ILLUMINATION FROM FLARES POLICE MOVING BACK, PROJECTILES HITTING POLICE LINE PROTESTERS MOVING FORWARD, FLARE BURNING FLARE BEING THROWN BY PROTESTER, FLARE HITS TREE GREEN FLARE BURNING IN FRONT OF POLICE LINE PROTESTERS STANDING IN FRONT OF POLICE LINE, PETROL BOMB BLOWING NEAR POLICE LINE SMOKE RISING, PROTESTERS SHOUTING UNIDENTIFIED OBJECT RELEASES SPARKS AS IT HITS PERSON SMOKE RISING AMONG PROTESTERS GATHERED VARIOUS OF BURNING BIN FRENCH FLAG FLYING, PROTESTERS WEARING SANTA HATS PROTESTER HOLDING FLARE FLARES BURNING AMONG PROTESTERS PROTESTERS GATHERED IN PLACE DE LA NATION SQUARE
- Embargoed: 31st December 2019 16:59
- Keywords: France Paris clashes police protesters
- Location: PARIS, FRANCE
- City: PARIS, FRANCE
- Country: France
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Civil Unrest
- Reuters ID: LVA001BAD6ZWN
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: French police and protesters clashed in Paris on Tuesday (December 17) in demonstrations over pension reform.
Police fired tear gas and stun grenades at demonstrators in central Paris's Place de la Nation. Protesters dressed in black, some with scarves and masks, overturned bins, tried to smash advertising hoardings and hurled projectiles at police lines. Paris police said the clashes involved "black block" anarchists, a small minority of the otherwise peaceful protesters.
In Paris, shops were shuttered along the protest route. Riot police lined both sides of the central Boulevard Beaumarchais and had erected a barricade across the traffic circle in Bastille Square. A water cannon truck was parked nearby.
French trade unions crippled transport, shut schools and brought hundreds of thousands of demonstrators into the streets in a redoubled effort to force President Emmanuel Macron to ditch a planned pension reform by Christmas.
(Production: Antoine Boddaert, Aiden Nulty)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None