- Title: Tens of thousands march to protest citizenship law in India
- Date: 18th December 2019
- Summary: KOLKATA, WEST BENGAL, INDIA (DECEMBER 18, 2019) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) VARIOUS OF CHIEF OF WEST BENGAL STATE, MAMATA BANERJEE, WALKING WITH THOUSANDS OF PROTESTERS PEOPLE STANDING PROTESTERS AND POLICEMEN WALKING PROTESTERS (SOUNDBITE) (Hindi) CHIEF OF INDIA'S EASTERN WEST BENGAL STATE, MAMATA BANERJEE, SAYING: "You (Bharatiya Janata Party) did take everybody along and didn't do development for all but you have done catastrophe for all. It won't work like this. We have maintained peace but there is one condition: take back CAB (Citizenship Amendment Bill); NRC (National Register of Citizens) won't work." GUWAHATI, ASSAM, INDIA (DECEMBER 18, 2019) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS WALKING WITH BANNERS, POSTERS AND RAISING SLOGANS BANNER PROTESTERS WALKING WITH BANNERS AND RAISING SLOGANS PROTESTERS GATHERED VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS RAISING SLOGANS (SOUNDBITE) (English) PROTESTER, BALLAVI MANJUL, SAYING: "In a democracy, the voice of the people should be heard. Whatever the central government is doing it's not for us; it's not for us, it's not beneficial for us. We want Citizenship Amendment Act to be withdrawn as soon as possible." THIRUVANANTHAPURAM, KERALA, INDIA (DECEMBER 18, 2019) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) PROTESTERS RAISING SLOGANS A PROTESTERS TIED IN CHAINS PROTESTERS RAISING SLOGANS PLACARD IN HANDS OF PROTESTER READING (English): 'WE ARE ONE INDIA IS OUR EMOTION' VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS RAISING SLOGANS PLACARDS IN HANDS OF PROTESTERS READING (English): 'NO CAB', 'DON'T FORGET IT'S NOT HINDU VS MUSLIM IT'S PEOPLE OF INDIA VS UNFIT POLITICS' (SOUNDBITE) (English) PROTESTER, NADER SHAH, SAYING: "We have no religion, we have no caste, we only have one emotion-we have (are) Indians. So, ourâ€¦ BJP (Bharatiya Janata Party) government, (Narendra) Modi government and Mr. Amit Shah, all are doing discriminating (discrimination).All theâ€¦ in India, all the ministers are doing discriminating (discrimination) against the people with the religion, with the food, with the colour." NEW DELHI, INDIA (DECEMBER 18, 2019) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS WITH POSTERS RAISING SLOGANS POSTER IN HANDS OF PROTESTER READING (English): 'GOOGLE- CAB AND NRC DID YOU MEAN DESTRUCTION OF INDIA?' VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS RAISING SLOGANS
- Embargoed: 1st January 2020 15:04
- Keywords: Citizenship Amendment Act Guwahati India Mamata Banerjee Narendra Modi New Delhi protest march protests
- Location: KOLKATA, WEST BENGAL/GUWAHATI, ASSAM/THIRUVANANTHAPURAM, KERALA/NEW DELHI, INDIA
- City: KOLKATA, WEST BENGAL/GUWAHATI, ASSAM/THIRUVANANTHAPURAM, KERALA/NEW DELHI, INDIA
- Country: India
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Civil Unrest
- Reuters ID: LVA001BAI5PVZ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: PART VIDEO QUALITY AS INCOMING
Tens of thousands of protesters marched in parts of India on Wednesday (December 18) to protest a new law that gives citizenship to religious minorities persecuted in neighbouring Muslim countries.
The Citizenship Amendment Act (CAA) makes it easier for non-Muslims from the neighbouring countries of Afghanistan, Bangladesh and Pakistan who settled in India prior to 2015 to gain Indian citizenship.
In eastern Kolkata city, State Chief Mamata Banerjee hit the streets for the third time this week while in northeastern Guwahati city, protesters carried banners, posters and raised slogans demanding the government to repeal CAA.
Modi government's new measure follows the revocation of the special status of the Muslim-majority Kashmir region, and a court ruling clearing the way for the construction of a Hindu temple on the site of a mosque razed by Hindu zealots.
- Copyright Holder: ANI (India)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None