- Title: Demonstrators take to the streets in New York to rally for Trump impeachment
- Date: 18th December 2019
- Summary: NEW YORK, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES (DECEMBER 17, 2019) (REUTERS) SIGN READING, "UN-PRESIDENT HIM!" / RALLY IN FAVOR OF IMPEACHMENT OF US PRESIDENT, DONALD TRUMP WITH SIGN READING, "DRIVE OUT TRUMP / PENCE REGIME" PAN OF CROWD "TRUMP-A-GANDA" TO "GOP ARE VIOLATING THEIR OATH" SIGNS "IMPEACH" ON UMBRELLA "IMPEACH & REMOVE" SIGNS BEING HANDED OUT CROWD CHANTING, "DONALD TRUMP HAS GOT TO GO" / SIGN READING CONSTITUTIONAL "HIGH CRIMES" BEING HELD BY CROWD / NEW YORK RETIREE, OBIE HUNT, AT RALLY (SOUNDBITE) (English) NEW YORK RETIREE, OBIE HUNT, SAYING: "And I hope next year, you know, they can get rid of him, because I think the Republican Senate has just already made up their minds. And that's what I think is terrible. If they were jurors, you wouldn't even be sitting on a jury if you said you already made up your mind. You know, they should do what's best for the country and not the party." ROW OF POLICE CROWD OF PROTESTERS SUPPORTING TRUMP, CHANTING, "FOUR MORE YEARS" PRO-TRUMP SUPPORTER CHANTING, "USA" NEW YORK CAREGIVER, KAREN, HOLDING US FLAG, "JEWS FOR TRUMP" SIGN, SAYING, "2020, BABY. GET OVER IT." (SOUNDBITE) (English) NEW YORK CAREGIVER, KAREN, SAYING: "It's a farce. There's not one shred of evidence. It's hearsay. This one heard that one who heard the other one. Get some concrete evidence. You know, everyone has to abide by the law, whether they're Republican or Democrat. I don't see any concrete evidence." CROWDS AT PROTEST "IMPEACH TRUMP" HATS BEING SOLD "MOSCOW [SENATE MAJORITY LEADER] MITCH [MCCONNELL] LET THEM TESTIFY" SIGN / RALLY WITH SIGN THAT READS, "LOCK HIM UP" "MAGA [MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN] IMPEACH + REMOVE TRUMP," "RIP DEMOCRACY" SIGNS AT RALLY "IMPEACH TRUMP" PLACARD WITH PICTURE OF TRUMP AS HITLER BY MAN WEARING TOPHAT (SOUNDBITE) (English) NEW YORK WEB DESIGNER, LIVIA, SAYING: "Well, the weather definitely sucks, but I was just saying to [her friend] Hillary that we need to think about Hong Kong [protests] and how people were marching for democracy in Hong Kong in the rain for days and that got me out of my house and got me down here to show up and show out and show that people really care about this vote tomorrow." [REPORTER SAYING: "You want to tell us about that?"] NEW YORK TEACHER, HILLARY, SAYING: "Well, I was thinking before about how the impeachment process just drags on in such a way that I think for a lot of people, it's starting to kind of fade into the background. But it's actually really serious. And the charges are, for me, pretty terrifying. So I'm convinced. And my concern was actually that there'd be so much apathy because of how long the process has taken that people wouldn't consider how important it is to also just put your body out in the street and say, 'we support the Democrats and what they're doing for our country right now.''" VARIOUS OF SIGN OVER TIMES SQUARE THAT READS, "WHAT IS TRUMP HIDING? WITH PICTURES OF TRUMP, SECRETARY OF STATE, MIKE POMPEO, FORMER NATIONAL SECURITY ADVISER, JOHN BOLTON, WHITE HOUSE CHIEF OF STAFF, MICK MULVANEY, AND TRUMP LAWYER, RUDY GIULIANI GENERAL OF TIMES SQUARE VARIOUS OF MARCHERS
- Embargoed: 1st January 2020 00:53
- Keywords: Moscow Mitch New York Times Square anti-Trump impeachment protest
- Location: NEW YORK, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES
- City: NEW YORK, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES
- Country: USA
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA001BAD7AYV
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Demonstrators rallied in New York on Tuesday (December 17) night to call for U.S. President Donald Trump's impeachment and removal from office on the eve of the House of Representatives' expected vote to impeach him.
Organizers said they were expecting thousands at a rally and march through midtown Manhattan, one of more than 600 events calling for Trump's impeachment that were scheduled to take place across the country.
"The charges are, for me, pretty terrifying," New York teacher, Hillary, told Reuters. "So I'm convinced. And my concern was actually that there'd be so much apathy because of how long the process has taken that people wouldn't consider how important it is to also just put your body out in the street and say, 'we support the Democrats and what they're doing for our country right now.''"
Demonstrators who were gathered in Times Square chanted slogans like "Impeach Trump" and held signs that read: "Impeach & Remove" and "Traitor Criminal Lock Him Up!"
Trump faces one charge of abuse of power for asking Ukraine to investigate former Vice President Joe Biden, a leading Democratic contender to oppose him in the 2020 presidential election. The Republican president also faces a charge of obstructing the congressional investigation into the matter.
The House will vote on Wednesday on two articles of impeachment against the president, which if approved, will send the matter to the Republican-led Senate to hold a trial on whether to remove him from office. The Senate is unlikely to vote to convict the president.
Trump has denied wrongdoing and accused Democrats on Tuesday of pursuing an "illegal, partisan attempted coup" and declaring "open war" on American democracy.
(Production by: Dan Fastenberg and Nelson Villarreal)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None